Nintendo trademark filing suggests a SNES Classic Edition could be on the way

midian182

Staff member

The NES Classic Edition is proving a runaway success for Nintendo. Many fans found they couldn’t get their hands on one of the consoles due to virtual and physical stores selling out within minutes. Earlier this month, it was revealed that almost 200,000 units had been sold in the US since the November release – almost as high as the number of Wii U consoles that shipped during a six-month period.

Nintendo admits that it underestimated demand for the NES Classic, but that’s a mistake the company is unlikely to make twice. Especially as a recent trademark filing suggests that the Japanese firm’s next retro release will be the SNES Classic Edition.

Go Nintendo reports that Twitter account @trademark_bot tweeted out a Super Famicom controller image that’s just been registered by Nintendo. As with all trademark registrations, there’s no guarantee this means a SNES Classic is in the works. However, the timing comes as the NES Classic continues to ride a wave of popularity, so the trademark may hint at the company’s plans for its next-generation of Classic Edition consoles.

If a SNES Classic Edition really is on the way, it’s unlikely to arrive anytime soon. With the Switch arriving in March, Nintendo won’t want to take its focus away from the handheld hybrid during its launch period. November 2017 would likely be the earliest release date for a SNES classic.

The trademark filing is Nintendo’s second within a few days. It was reported yesterday that the Japanese company had submitted a request to renew the trademark for classic GameCube title Eternal Darkness, suggesting it could be one of the games available on the Switch's rumored Virtual Console service.

Permalink to story.

I`d buy that in a second, also Sega should take notice, a Megadrive revamp would be so sweet.

Sega has had a classic Genesis out for almost 2 years. I got one for Christmas last year and its far better than the NES classic as it comes with 80 games and allows me to plug in my old genesis cartridges.

I`d buy that in a second, also Sega should take notice, a Megadrive revamp would be so sweet.

Sega has had a classic Genesis out for almost 2 years. I got one for Christmas last year and its far better than the NES classic as it comes with 80 games and allows me to plug in my old genesis cartridges.

The sound on those is beyond horrible. Plus it can't do a majority of the things the nes classic can. No save states, no changing of the screen presentation (crt, pixel perfect, etc). And only 40 actual Genesis/Mega drive games. The other 40 games are like backgammon and other worthless crap.

If they do an snes classic. Hopefully they include more games or a way to expand the games (virtual console). But that would increase the price by a bit.

already exsit.. theres even a mobile style that looks like a (bigger) game gear but is actually the genesis.. but to me (depending on the games) SNES has the potential to be much better tehn the nes classic and hopefully a longer cord on the included controller

The sound on those is beyond horrible. Plus it can't do a majority of the things the nes classic can. No save states, no changing of the screen presentation (crt, pixel perfect, etc). And only 40 actual Genesis/Mega drive games. The other 40 games are like backgammon and other worthless crap.
Damn, I was clueless about that, but no save state and horrible sound, that`s a downer.

It would be nice if you could plug in your old cartridges in SNES, but would also come with preloaded HD remastered classic games, save states and everything, the whole package. I was unaware of the Megadrive remake, but if it`s so poor as Jeff claims I`d rather skip it.

It would be nice if you could plug in your old cartridges in SNES, but would also come with preloaded HD remastered classic games, save states and everything, the whole package. I was unaware of the Megadrive remake, but if it`s so poor as Jeff claims I`d rather skip it.

I wouldn't mind being able to buy cartridges that have 20-30 games on there as well. I'm really really happy that this year and beyond will have a lot of nostalgia with these types of revivals. The hi-bit genre is amazing imo and should continue to be a thing; I'm honestly getting sick of so many 3d games. I feel an important quality that many retro games have is that they were fun.

Snes had some of my all-time favorite classics. I'd totally buy this.
All the best games I've played on my New 3DS this year have been SNES games and they haven't even added any of the Square Enix games yet, if they added those I'd have almost no reason to pick up any retail 3DS games for the foreseeable future.

I think the main issue I see is that Nintendo won't be the only company to take notice of NES Classic's success. Getting the license agreements to put out an SNES Classic, will be a b****. $100 bucks min. I doubt an SNES Classic will be feasible.

Damn, I was clueless about that, but no save state and horrible sound, that`s a downer.

Yeah, look at any review on youtube or Amazon. Listening to how bad it is on youtube reviews killed any interest I had for it. And they release a new version of it every year. Removing/adding a few games every year. Except the generic 40 games.

It's amazing how many of these consoles have come out and Nintendo was the first company to put some "quality" work behind it to update it with "newer" technologies and ideas. We now see that they are reaping the rewards with the nes classic at how well its selling. Plus its Nintendo so they are probably making a fortune of each one that is sold.

Back