TechSpot

Nintendo Wii U coming to the US November 18 for $250 and $300

By Leeky
Sep 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Nintendo announced yesterday that its next-gen game console will launch in Japan on December 8, with a basic and deluxe console available from 26,250 yen. Today, the company revealed that the US will receive the Wii U even earlier, as...

Read more

2. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +12

So is it 250 & 300 or 350? I thought it was 300 & 350. Don't be like Joystiq with their half-*** reporting please. Thank you.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,535   +573

I haven't owned a console since the N64. I might be interested in this one as it's backwards compatible to Wii games and there's a huge catalog of games already available.

I'm not interested in XBox or PlayStation consoles because they play crappy versions of PC games and I already have a gaming PC.

4. drpepperdude

drpepperdude TS Rookie

Yeah it is 299.99 and 349.99 in the US!

5. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Booster Posts: 248   +12

I saw the videos of the controller in action... It looks to me like a tablet with joysticks... Although one thing I noticed was too much lag between finger action and screen reaction! I'm used to a snappier response from my touch screen devices...

6. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 345   +23

It's $300 and $350 I believe. Don't know where TS is getting their information

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,434   +755

If the pro controller is compatible with all games, ill consider it

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 795   +88

I haven't seen a single thing I like about Wii U. After the Wii let me down so completely, I have little faith in another Wii.

9. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 3,797   +116

Sorry, was an honest mistake. I have corrected it now, and to confirm:

It's $299.99 for the basic, and $349.99 for the deluxe (also referred to as premium) version. See here: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/

From several very reliable sources, but I typed a 4 instead of a 9 and failed to notice it.

You have my apologies for that, and the confusion caused.

10. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Booster Posts: 143

Really? Only 2GB of RAM on a brand new console? That was standard in PCs back when the last gen came out. Assuming this is expected to last ~5 years, that is pitiful.

Terrible specs aside, I may look to grab one at launch for speculative purposes. Made about $100 just flipping the Wii on eBay when it was released.

11. Interesting. A 40watt average power consumption is really good.

12. likedamaster

Apology accepted. You will remain on my homepage for now. :p

Leeky likes this.
  13. likedamaster

Wanted to see if no spoilers worked

System sounds interesting. Will hopefully get my hands on one if I could.

14. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,434   +755

well considering its 4x more than what the 360 has...

15. Sarcasm

Well to be fair, Microsoft has managed to make a console with 512MB of RAM last 7 years and games are still very much playable. :)

16. Sarcasm

Honest mistake. Although it would have been nice for you to be right and they launch it at $249 instead. :)

Leeky likes this.
  17. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 795   +88

Well it's really twice what 360 has, since only 1GB is used for games.

18. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 3,797   +116

Thanks. :) If it makes you feel better, pre-orders in the UK are going up for availability on November 30 with the basic at £259.99 and the deluxe at £309.99. That's $421.65 and $502.74 in your money, according to Game UK. Prices are the same at Play.com as well.

Prices in the UK really do suck. :(