TechSpot

Nintendo Wii U coming to the US November 18 for $250 and $300

By Leeky
Sep 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Nintendo announced yesterday that its next-gen game console will launch in Japan on December 8, with a basic and deluxe console available from 26,250 yen. Today, the company revealed that the US will receive the Wii U even earlier, as...

Read more

2. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

So is it 250 & 300 or 350? I thought it was 300 & 350. Don't be like Joystiq with their half-*** reporting please. Thank you.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

I haven't owned a console since the N64. I might be interested in this one as it's backwards compatible to Wii games and there's a huge catalog of games already available.

I'm not interested in XBox or PlayStation consoles because they play crappy versions of PC games and I already have a gaming PC.

4. drpepperdude

drpepperdude TS Rookie

Yeah it is 299.99 and 349.99 in the US!

5. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +12

I saw the videos of the controller in action... It looks to me like a tablet with joysticks... Although one thing I noticed was too much lag between finger action and screen reaction! I'm used to a snappier response from my touch screen devices...

6. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

It's $300 and $350 I believe. Don't know where TS is getting their information

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,943   +380

If the pro controller is compatible with all games, ill consider it

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I haven't seen a single thing I like about Wii U. After the Wii let me down so completely, I have little faith in another Wii.

9. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

Sorry, was an honest mistake. I have corrected it now, and to confirm:

It's $299.99 for the basic, and $349.99 for the deluxe (also referred to as premium) version. See here: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/

From several very reliable sources, but I typed a 4 instead of a 9 and failed to notice it.

You have my apologies for that, and the confusion caused.

10. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Rookie Posts: 141

Really? Only 2GB of RAM on a brand new console? That was standard in PCs back when the last gen came out. Assuming this is expected to last ~5 years, that is pitiful.

Terrible specs aside, I may look to grab one at launch for speculative purposes. Made about $100 just flipping the Wii on eBay when it was released.

11. Interesting. A 40watt average power consumption is really good.

12. likedamaster

Apology accepted. You will remain on my homepage for now. :p

Leeky likes this.
  13. likedamaster

Wanted to see if no spoilers worked

System sounds interesting. Will hopefully get my hands on one if I could.

14. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,943   +380

well considering its 4x more than what the 360 has...

15. Sarcasm

Well to be fair, Microsoft has managed to make a console with 512MB of RAM last 7 years and games are still very much playable. :)

16. Sarcasm

Honest mistake. Although it would have been nice for you to be right and they launch it at $249 instead. :)

Leeky likes this.
  17. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Well it's really twice what 360 has, since only 1GB is used for games.

18. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

Thanks. :) If it makes you feel better, pre-orders in the UK are going up for availability on November 30 with the basic at £259.99 and the deluxe at £309.99. That's $421.65 and $502.74 in your money, according to Game UK. Prices are the same at Play.com as well.

Prices in the UK really do suck. :(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.