TechSpot

Nissan's cutting edge dirt-resistant paint could render car washing obsolete

By Shawn Knight
Apr 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. For car enthusiasts, washing your vehicle can be an enjoyable and rewarding task. But even those with the best of intentions can often come up short as factors like excessively hot or cold weather, time constraints or simply lacking access...

Read more

2. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 820   +231

I wonder how much repainting after a fender bender would cost?

trgz likes this.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +599

Very cool. Interesting to see if this really pans out and the paint retains it's "anti-dirt" properties after a few years.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  4. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 350   +103

Agreed. Weather can do a number on anything, along with the general daily activies of someone. I'm curious how long it would last, since they didn't list details about anything of the sort. If they tested it aside from this, and to what lengths did they go to?

5. But what about splattered bugs and bird poop, the number one and two killers of paint jobs?

6. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

Will it repel bird's crap too? :)

7. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 293   +69

Awesome! If nothing will stick, I guess there is no point waxing it either. I hope this will become widely available across various makes soon.

8. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Booster Posts: 131   +65

If its anything like the stuff they put on clothes it wont last more than a week.

9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah it will be great to see how this competes vs 3rd party solutions over the years.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,060

My thoughts exactly. And how much extra will the manufacturer charge for this fancy paint in a metallic. I don't mind washing my car myself, really I don't.

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,559   +2,900

So you will still need to wash everything, except for the paint?

12. trgz

trgz TS Booster Posts: 153   +23

I was just about to point out that there's a lot of crud under a car that needs to be washed out too.

13. ucould2

ucould2 TS Guru Posts: 271

You can buy an after market paint protection which means that you can 'dry wash' your car (normal road use) for about a year. What happens with paint especially on motor cars is that it fades from the top down, leaving any number of shades of the original colour depending on the angle of viewing. To match this colour fade takes a professional years to master, so, I see lots of fancy high priced cars with dodgy paint jobs that no one knows how to fix ;)

14. Finally, we can say good bye to our 'car washing' activity :D

15. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +108

Where is the sonic non-wiper system for the windshield that Renault was working on? Take that tech and this paint tech then you would have something of interest. No need to buy wiper blades ever again. Of course that would put a lot of wiper blades companies out of business. Now they have no washing your car paint that would put a lot of private car washes out of business and those that sell car wash cleaners like the famous Turtle Wax for one.

What they need to focus on is getting the mileage backup in these cars like they did back in the 80's. Since we are forced to use gasoline still. Hybrid battery and gas cars are too few and cost to much to maintain.

16. kvs13156

kvs13156 TS Rookie

As the owner of a car wash, I have one thing to say "FAT CHANCE!". Mother Nature has an infinite source of materials to stick on your car- white limestone base dust, fat and protein bug juices, wide range of petroleum distillates, corrosive high nitrate avian fecal matter, and of coarse - the stickiest known substance in the car wash biz - the purple berry tree droppings!

17. "As the owner of a car wash, I have one thing to say "FAT CHANCE!". Mother Nature has an infinite source of materials to stick on your car- white limestone base dust, fat and protein bug juices, wide range of petroleum distillates, corrosive high nitrate avian fecal matter, and of coarse - the stickiest known substance in the car wash biz - the purple berry tree droppings!"

no matter what, car wash is indispensable thing.. unless we possess some alien-technology that would make our car's body panels are guaranteed 120% dirtproof