TechSpot

No Agp port and integrated graphics

By vocal
Aug 16, 2005
  1. Hey,

My chipset is an intel 845GL :)/) which has no agp port and has onboard graphics. I do have an available pci slot so my question is, am I still able to get a better pci card to upgrade my video and bypass the integrated card using device manager?

Thanks in advance,

-Vocal

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

you can turn off the onboard video in your bios, so when you put in a new psi card it's all you'll have. and it's possible to get a pci graphics card that's better than your onboard graphics, but don't expect to be playing farcry or bf2 on there.

3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

4. topher13

topher13 TS Rookie

would 5700le 128mb work for bf2?

would 5700le 128mb work for bf2 if i had a pci slot only?
    i dont care about low settings just dont want a slideshow.

1g ram w/ 3.0g processor

5. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom TS Rookie Posts: 160

BF2 box says the minimum requirement is a 5700 128MB, so you'll be able to play it but it will be quite laggy.

6. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

becareful with the LE version of that card, i believe it has a 64 bit memory interface. (which is not good at all)

7. topher13

topher13 TS Rookie

what about the 256mb 5500, i know people are running as low as the 5200 geforce

8. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

ahh, the 5x00 cards are all really obsolete. for a few bucks more you could gat a 6600gt.

9. mossimoboy

mossimoboy TS Rookie Posts: 121

He has no agp or pci-e... And a few bucks? Maybe like 60..

If you want to play BF2 it wasn't the smartest thing to do to buy a pre-built computer.

I had an fx5200 that I played bf2 with at the lowest settings possible..
    So it wont look too great but it will be playable.

10. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

Bf2 is a REALLY dammanding game, you wil get lag with almost any geforce 5xxx cards with the expetion of the 59xx

its better IMO to save up and build yourself a pc that will be good for a feew years

11. topher13

topher13 TS Rookie

yeah, i know that it wasnt very smart but ive learned my lesson, ill start saving but i just want to play sooo bad, so yall think the 5500 would be better, huh?

12. charvey

charvey TS Rookie Posts: 19

I'm trying to avoid Vocal's problem by building my own 'puter. Am I correct in assuming that an AGP slot is the best choice for a video card?

13. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

yes, get eather an agp or new pci-express 16x slot

14. topher13

topher13 TS Rookie

i found a 6200 pci...going after that one its on this site www.3dfuzion.com

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.