No Audio Device After Clean XP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawtyger

Last night I did a clean reinstalled of XP Home Edition on my Gateway MX6030 Notebook (with Service Pack 2). I had several driver issues and received great assistance in another thread to fix them.

However, I am having a problem with sound. There is no sound icon in the task tray and when I got to Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Device Properties" is says "No Audio Device."

I've gone to the Gateway driver page located here - http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/mydl.asp?tab=MY&os=Windows XP - and tried to install all of the following:

My Download Settings

Model: Gateway MX6030 Notebook

My Downloads

If multiple components are listed below, you will want to use the Device Manager in your system to identify the correct driver.

My Media Reader Download
Description File Info

D00341-001-001.exe - Gateway Memory Card Reader Driver Revision: 1.0.3.2
Supports: Windows XP 12/21/2005
3,674 KB

My Modem Downloads
Description File Info

D00324-001-001.exe - Gateway Notebook Conexant V.92 Modem Driver Version: 7.20.00.50
Supports: Windows XP 2/6/2006
1,469 KB

My Motherboard Downloads
Description File Info

D00231-001-001.exe - Gateway Intel(r) Chipset Driver Revision: 6.2.1.1001
Supports: Windows XP 2/9/2005
1,928 KB

My Network Downloads
Description File Info

BCM40100.exe - Broadcom Wireless Driver Version 4.100.15.5
Supports: Windows XP 11/28/2006
77,858 KB

D00464-001-001.exe - Gateway Broadcom Wireless Network Drivers Version: 3.100.64.1
Supports: Windows XP, Windows 2000 8/1/2006
7,007 KB

D00267-001-001.exe - Gateway Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller Revision: 4.27.0.0
Supports: Windows XP 4/4/2005
7,007 KB

My Sound Downloads
Description File Info

Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565.exe - Gateway Conexant Audio Driver Version: 6.14.10.0565
Supports: Windows XP 1/31/2006
702 KB

My Touchpad Downloads
Description File Info

D00243-001-002.exe - Gateway Notebook Touchpad Driver Version: 7.12.3.0
Supports: Windows XP 3/2/2006
5,296 KB

My Video Downloads
Description File Info

D00187-001-001.exe - Gateway Display Drivers Version: 6.14.10.3889
Supports: Windows XP 12/13/2004
5,868 KB

I've installed all of the above, and even reintalled (and over-wrote the previous installation) the one related to "sound" above.

When I go to System Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. . . under "other devices" there is a yellow question mark next to it and the two entries under it (1) Multimedia Audio Controller, and (2) PCI Modem both have yellow question marks next to them.

I've double clicked on the Multimedia Audio Controller and tried to reinstall the driver and put the recovery disc that came with the computer (the only one) but it can't find the driver. None of the above listed drivers on Gateway after installation fixed the problem so I don't know where to get this driver or what to do.

How can I get the sound and sound icom back on my laptop?

Thanks!

Well here's the download again
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_...portable/m360/Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565.exe
Pretty sure that's yours (although your page opened With Win 2000 - I changed to Xp, but I think it's the same driver.
Maybe just download it !

Anyway, go to add/remove programs - and remove any sound software (conexant)

Restart to Windows Safe mode, go to device manager and remove EVERYTHING to do with sound.

Go back to Normal mode (just restart) and cancel any install of your found new hardware

Install the above driver
Wait until finished finding and installing all drivers
Restart

The Gateway requires a special install of the drivers. Read the detailed directions closely that are at the site of the download. The drivers will usually first be downloaded to a CAB directory, into a sub directory with a numerical label. You need to know where that device driver is stored after it is unzipped or expanded. Then you go there from the Device Manager to install it.
You need to install everything device that has a yellow flag. Do them one at a time, because the flags will often change after a reboot because some drivers fix more than one issue.

raybay said:
The Gateway requires a special install of the drivers. Read the detailed directions closely that are at the site of the download. The drivers will usually first be downloaded to a CAB directory, into a sub directory with a numerical label. You need to know where that device driver is stored after it is unzipped or expanded. Then you go there from the Device Manager to install it.
You need to install everything device that has a yellow flag. Do them one at a time, because the flags will often change after a reboot because some drivers fix more than one issue.

All the drivers, including this sound driver have been sent to the Cab directory. With the 8 or so drivers I found on the Gateway page, I followed the specific instructions for the driver some of which were a simlar process - type a command in start menu - run. They all successfully installed, except for this sound driver.

I doublechecked the add/remove programs as Kimsland said (and the removal of this particular driver instructions said) but the driver is not listed (the file mentioned in the removal instructions is not there - Conexant AC-Link Audio). There is nothing to remove because it hasn't successfully installed.

These are the specific instructions I followed exactly to install this sound driver:

This document describes the steps necessary to install the Windows XP Conexant audio driver for the Gateway notebook computer models listed in the Applicable Part Numbers section below.

Identification

If you have a Gateway notebook computer listed in the Applicable Part Numbers section and are running Windows XP, install this driver.

Installation

After you have downloaded and double-clicked the file (Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565.exe), files self-extract and copy into the C:\Cabs\Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 folder on the hard drive.

1. From the Start menu, click Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type: C:\Cabs\Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565\Hxfsetup.exe. Click OK.

3. The driver automatically loads in the background. No user interaction is required.

4. New hardware is automatically detected.

5. Installation is complete, and the installer automatically closes.

As steps 3, 4, and 5 indicate, after you click o.k. in "run" the driver is supposed to automatically load and the installer automatically closes. It's not like a box is popping up saying "successful installation" or "unsuccessful installation." Only when I go back into device manager do I see that the driver is still not working.

I looked through other add/remove options related to sound and removed Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition and Microsoft Plus for Windows XP. I don't see anything else associated with sound in the add/remove section.

The only thing I have not done yet is:

Restart to Windows Safe mode, go to device manager and remove EVERYTHING to do with sound."

If I recall correctly, I hit F8 at start up and enter safe mode. What I think I need clarification of is what "everything" related to sound refers to? Are you saying to uninstall some of the stuff under the "Sound, video and game controller section" like the audio codecs?

I'm not sure what you want me to remove?

Have you called Gateway tech support. They are the best and the most helpful in the business.
Otherwise, I think enough is screwed up to require you to do a clean install... unless you have burned out the sound unit from overuse. Some sound drivers will not install if the sound chips are bad.
The Safe Mode try is, of course, the obvious next step. After you remove it, I would use the free CCleaner or PC-Decrapifier, then reboot, and run the Defragmentation in Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, then reboot before you try to reinstall.
Please let us know what happens and how you fix it.

I like the clean option that is all sound related entries
If you have purchased codecs then don't remove them, but if they were automatic free downloads then I say yes (why? some will reply!) because once sound install corrupts, it is very difficult to get it back (hence this post) Therefore I say remove everything related to sound driver.

Mind you I didn't mean Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition and Microsoft Plus for Windows XP Only drivers.

raybay said:
Have you called Gateway tech support. They are the best and the most helpful in the business.

This certainly was not my experience today over the last 3 hours.

sorry to make one step back but can you see the device in the device mananger with a question mark or as already installed or not at all?

ah sorry its late and I didn't read your post correct.
can you unzip the downloaded driver package using right mouse context menu? if so do it and keep the location you choose in mind. go back to the device manager and click install/re-install driver on the conexant audio device. browse to the folder you kept in mind. you should hopefully see at least one .inf file there. (the .inf file may be has a different extension lile ._nf or .in_) select that file and ... hope something pops up with a positiv message.

I think everything else was said by the other guys.

do you have a diag cd for this computer. the diag cd lets you test the device so you can exclude its damaged.

mscrx said:
do you have a diag cd for this computer. the diag cd lets you test the device so you can exclude its damaged.
Well spotted
This may be a corrupt hardware device, not a driver issue

At about 5:00 yesterday, I took the computer to Best Buy. For $30.00 they are going to install the driver as of course, software issues are not covered. Three different Gateway reps worked with me (via chat) prior to finally taking the computer to Best Buy. Two system crashes, 2 fresh clean installs, and several headaches having to explain from the beginning the problem (and much more nonsense on Gateway's part resulting in wasted time) I gave in, sat back and decided to forget about my computer woes and watch some Saturday night football and the Bucs game (I'm in Tampa) today.

Now dealing with Bucs game woes.

Anyway, Gateway has no idea why the driver won't load, one of the tech even remoted in and tried the install several different ways (run command, setup.exe file, etc.) and no luck. When I asked Gateway why the ALL the drivers were not on the companion disc, they said they did not know. When I complained about Gateway to Best Buy about the fact that I really thought Gateway should put all the necessary drivers on the disc, they said for some reason they don't but said there was a way to pull the drivers off the XP disc and make a drivers disk. Not sure they Gateway didn't mention this so it may be nonsense.

My thoughts are:
- Thanks for your help.
- The next time my computer (desktop and laptop) need replacing, Gateway is off my list due to the customer service headached I experienced dealing with them (most of which I haven't even touched upon).
- I think this will ultimately be come type of hardware issue because the driver simply will not install and the appropriate method (and alternateive methods that should work) of installation is not working.

Anyway, again thanks. At this point, I prefer not to even see the evil laptop for a few days anyway.

Thanks for letting us know. I am going to call the Gateway supervisory tech I know. This is obviously not right.

If it were mine, I would insist on cancelling the purchase and get my money back.

Just an update.

Got an automated message from Best Buy that the laptop was ready for pickup and thought "Great! Well worth the $30.00." Got to Best Buy and they said here's your computer we can't get the driver to install and here's your $30.00 back.

Since you mentioned cancelling the purchase I'll clarify that the computer was purchased on Black Friday of 2005 but I did purchase a 3 year warranty. And of course, the warranty apparently doesn't cover "software." They must have repeated this 100 times. I certainly understand that a driver is "software" and the XP is software, but I strongly made the argument that if you do a clean install, full format, and still cannot get the computer up and running correctly it should be covered. The 20 year old tech said their analysis indicated no hardware problem.

Long story short, when I asked for the manager the "Geek Squad" tech said "you can call for her but they are just going to do what I say." Needless to say, that didn't play well with the manager and she and another service manager understood the common sense angle of my problem. At this point, they have shipped the laptop to Kentucky (I guess their service center) to see if they come up with anything different. If not, and the computer gets returned in its same no audio condition, I've been assured that I will be receiving a workable computer from the store. I didn't get into the details of whether this means a credit in the amount I paid towards a new computer, or what. But the conversation went well and I felt confortable with the two individuals I was working. The only issue is that the time this is taking.

Anyway, that's the update. Felt it was needed as we tried to trouble shoot the issue here, Gateway couldn't fix it via remote access, Best Buy couldn't fix it, so at least I had a "real" issue and tried all I could to fix it myself. Due to the problem, my very bad experience with Gateway's support during my 3 sessions, the fact that all the drivers don't even come on the restore disk (including the drivers necessary to connect to the internet - thank goodness I had the desktop), my Gateway desktop and laptop will likely be the last my wife and I ever own.

lawtyger please continue to reply with all updates to this (however long it takes)
Each time you reply here, all subscibed members read it. We, like you, are waiting for the ending result to this BIG issue of no sound.

wish you good luck with the next repair level! and as kimsland said, please update until the end of your laptops story.

in my eyes they should give you a voucher even if they manage to repair the laptop.

mscrx said:
wish you good luck with the next repair level! and as kimsland said, please update until the end of your laptops story.

in my eyes they should give you a voucher even if they manage to repair the laptop.

Well, it is update time. The laptop was returned from Best Buy (in Kentucky) and they could not solve the sound issue either. We told our local store that it is time to put an end to this and they are going to try until tomorrow to find a driver that works. When they can't, they have agreed to give us back the cost of the laptop as a credit.

So, I guess that's good news but it is also bad news as I need to purchase another laptop from Best Buy. Anything we get will be faster than our Gateway MX6030 Notebook, 1.4 Ghz, 512 RAM, 60 GB HD.

We'd like to stay in the $600 to $800 range which limits our options. The brands we are considering which they sell are Dell, Sony, and Acer. Any suggestions would be great. Should we try the AMD Turion 64 X2 processor or stick with Intel? The computers in this range all seem to come with around a 1.8 Ghz process, 2 GB Ram, 200 to 250 HD (all of which is more than ours had).

They have one Dell (1521-MB) for $750, and next step up for the Dell's is $900. The distinction I'm seeing is 1.8 Ghz vs. 2.0, and a serial ATA HD instead of a SATA.

Obviously, I know the point of the forum isn't to give purchasing advice, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I believe purchasing advise can be given - pls wait for those

But this is good news ! They have basically admitted fault. Incredible.

Continue with feedback.

Here's 3 I'm considering (just threw the Gateway back into the mix but I'm hesitant):

$699.99 - Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with AMD Turion™ 64 X2 - Onyx Blue Metallic
Model: A215-S7437

Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited

Product Height
1.6"

Product Width
14.3"

Product Weight
5.8 lbs.

Product Depth
10.6"

Processor Brand
AMD
#
Processor
AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2

Processor Speed
1.9GHz

Display Type
WXGA widescreen TFT-LCD with TruBrite technology (1280 x 800)

Screen Size
15.4"

System Bus
1600MHz

Cache Memory
512KB + 512KB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM)
2GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
4GB

Type of Memory (RAM)
PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Drive Type
Serial ATA (4200 rpm)

Hard Drive Size
200GB

Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Optical Drive Speeds
4x DVD+R DL; 4x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 24x16x24 CD-RW

Direct-Disc Labeling
Yes

Digital Media Reader or Slots
Yes, digital media card reader

Graphics
ATI RADEON X1200

Video Memory
128MB-319MB (shared)

Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
No

TV Tuner
No

MPEG
Yes

Built-in Web Cam
No

Modem
56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking
Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking
Built-in Realtek high-speed wireless network connection (802.11b/g)

S-Video Outputs

Speakers
Built-in stereo

PCMCIA Slots
1 ExpressCard/34/54

USB 2.0 Ports

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports

Parallel Ports
None

Serial Ports
None

Game Ports
None

Notebook Weight
Thin and light (4.5 to 6 lbs.)

Battery Type
Lithium-ion

Pointing Device
Touchpad with enable/disable function

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium

Included Software
Microsoft Works 8.5; Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5; InterVideo WinDVD 8; Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

$749.99 - Gateway - Laptop with AMD Turion™ 64 X2
Model: T-1625

Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited

Product Height
1.3"

Product Width
13"

Product Weight
5.6 lbs.

Product Depth
9.75"

Processor Brand
AMD

Processor
AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2

Processor Speed
2.0GHz

Display Type
WXGA widescreen TFT-LCD with Ultrabright technology (1280 x 800)

Screen Size
14.1"

System Bus
1600MHz

Cache Memory
512KB + 512KB at die Level 2

System Memory (RAM)
2GB

Nonexpandable

Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR2

Hard Drive Type
Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

Hard Drive Size
250GB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Speeds
2.4x DVD+R DL; 2x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 4x DVD-RAM; 24x16x24 CD-RW

Direct-Disc Labeling
Yes

Diskette Drive
No

Graphics
ATI RADEON X1270

Video Memory
Up to 256MB HyperMemory

No

TV Tuner
No

MPEG
Yes

Built-in Web Cam
Yes

Modem
56 Kbps* ITU V.92 *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking
10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

S-Video Outputs
None

Additional Audio/Video Connectors
HDMI

Audio
High-definition (2-speaker support)

Speakers
Built-in

PCMCIA Slots
1 ExpressCard/54

USB 2.0 Ports

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
None

Parallel Ports
None

Serial Ports
None

Game Ports
None

Notebook Weight

Battery Type
Lithium-ion

Pointing Device
Synaptics touchpad with vertical scroll

Operating System

Included Software
Microsoft Works 9.0, Money Essentials; CyberLink Power2Go; Adobe Reader 8; Gateway BigFix and more

$749.99 - Dell - Inspiron Laptop with AMD Turion™ 64 X2 - Midnight Blue
Model: 1521-MB

Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited

Product Height
1.7"

Product Width
14.1"

Product Weight
6.4 lbs.

Product Depth
10.6"

Processor Brand
AMD

Processor
AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2

Processor Speed
1.8GHz

Display Type
Glossy XGA HD widescreen (1280 x 800)

Screen Size
15.4"

System Memory (RAM)
2GB

Nonexpandable

Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR2

Hard Drive Type
Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

Hard Drive Size
250GB

Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±W/CD-RW

Optical Drive Speeds
16x4x16 DVD+RW; 8x4x16 DVD-RW; 40x24x40 CD-RW (DL speeds not available)

Direct-Disc Labeling
No

Graphics
ATI RADEON XPRESS 1270 with HyperMemory

Video Memory
Unspecified

No

TV Tuner
No

Built-in Web Cam
Yes

Modem
56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking
Built-in 10/100 Ethernet

Wireless Networking
Built-in Dell 1390 wireless mini-card (802.11b/g)

S-Video Outputs

Audio
Integrated high-definition 2.0

Speakers
Built-in stereo

PCMCIA Slots
1 ExpressCard/54

USB 2.0 Ports

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports

Parallel Ports
None

Serial Ports
None

Game Ports
None

Notebook Weight
Standard (more than 6 lbs.)

Battery Type
Lithium-ion (6-cell)

Pointing Device
Touchpad with vertical/horizontal scroll pad

Operating System

Included Software
Microsoft Works 8, Roxio Creator Basic

This resolved my no sound device error:
To recap in detail (for Windows XP; YMMV): 1. From Device Manager (be sure to select View/Show hidden devices), find the 'ISAPNP Read Data Port' device from the System Devices list. (Of note: once I successfully repaired this problem, this device no longer appears.) 2. Right click the ISAPNP device, and select "Update Driver" 3. Select "Install from a list or specific location" 4. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." 5. The step I left out on prior trials: UNSELECT "Show Compatible Hardware" 6. Be sure that "(Standard System Devices)" is selected under Manufacturer. 7. Under Model, scroll down until you see "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator". Select this item, and select "Next>". 8. You will receive some frightening error message that you should probably disregard. 9. Complete the installation of the driver. You will see your device list magically change before your eyes. The other PNP devices will mysteriously become enabled and active. If not, restart.

what kind of sound card is on the t-1625

what kind of sound card is on the t-1625?

lawtyger said:
$749.99 - Gateway - Laptop with AMD Turion™ 64 X2
Model: T-1625

Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited

Product Height
1.3"

Product Width
13"

Product Weight
5.6 lbs.

Product Depth
9.75"

Processor Brand
AMD

Processor
AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2

Processor Speed
2.0GHz

Display Type
WXGA widescreen TFT-LCD with Ultrabright technology (1280 x 800)

Screen Size
14.1"

System Bus
1600MHz

Cache Memory
512KB + 512KB at die Level 2

System Memory (RAM)
2GB

Nonexpandable

Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR2

Hard Drive Type
Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

Hard Drive Size
250GB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Speeds
2.4x DVD+R DL; 2x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 4x DVD-RAM; 24x16x24 CD-RW

Direct-Disc Labeling
Yes

Diskette Drive
No

Graphics
ATI RADEON X1270

Video Memory
Up to 256MB HyperMemory

No

TV Tuner
No

MPEG
Yes

Built-in Web Cam
Yes

Modem
56 Kbps* ITU V.92 *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking
10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

S-Video Outputs
None

Additional Audio/Video Connectors
HDMI

Audio
High-definition (2-speaker support)

Speakers
Built-in

PCMCIA Slots
1 ExpressCard/54

USB 2.0 Ports

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
None

Parallel Ports
None

Serial Ports
None

Game Ports
None

Notebook Weight

Battery Type
Lithium-ion

Pointing Device
Synaptics touchpad with vertical scroll

Operating System

Included Software
Microsoft Works 9.0, Money Essentials; CyberLink Power2Go; Adobe Reader 8; Gateway BigFix and more

What kind of sound card is on the t-1625?

What kind of sound card is on the t-1625?
I blew out Vista and put Windows 2003 Server and now my sound does not work. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and the some of the stuff you have posted. Any ideas?
Thanks!

XP drivers for Gateway t-1625

XP drivers for Gateway t-1625

Southbridge Chipset; Dell R134875

LAN; Realtek PCIE_Install_5664

Video; Dell R163694; “Right-click” “update driver” from Device Manager, manually target and install the driver as if you had a disk. One profile works the other doesn't.

Sound ; Have SP2, dotnetfx 1.1 and 2.0, then install XP hotfix kb888111, Realtek/ATI HDMI_R168, Gateway cab D00664-001-001. Worked for my speakers, can't test HDMI.

Webcam; “Right-click” “update driver” from Device Manager

Wifi; Realtek 1878B

Good Luck!

Did you try rocky1rocky1 suggestion:

I have edited it, so as you can actually read it !

This resolved my no sound device error:
To recap in detail (for Windows XP; YMMV):

1. From Device Manager (be sure to select View/Show hidden devices), find the 'ISAPNP Read Data Port' device from the System Devices list.

2. Right click the ISAPNP device, and select "Update Driver"

3. Select "Install from a list or specific location"

4. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."

5. The step I left out on prior trials: UNSELECT "Show Compatible Hardware"

6. Be sure that "(Standard System Devices)" is selected under Manufacturer.

7. Under Model, scroll down until you see "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator". Select this item, and select "Next>".

8. You will receive some frightening error message that you should probably disregard.

9. Complete the installation of the driver. You will see your device list magically change before your eyes. The other PNP devices will mysteriously become enabled and active.
If not, restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back