No audio on my tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckolbas

I have a HP Pavillion 9700. I am trying to get it so that I can watch movies on my new Samsung 40 inch HDTV. I got the vga cord so that I have a picture. But, I didn't get any sound. So then I found out that I need the audio cord. so I went and bought a y-cable that has the laptop headphone jack on one side and the red/white audio jacks on the other. I have no sound. I spent 30 min or better on the phone w/ HP only for them to tell me that this is not possible. I don't bye it!! Please help me so that I can call back the HP guy and rub it in his face that TechSpot figured out the issue.

Thanks for stopping bye and reading my question!!

Christian

how did the HP guy explained that "this is not possible"?

also check your TV's Source:

> Toggles between all the available input sources
(TV, AV1, AV2, S-Video1, S-Video2, Component1,
Component2, PC, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3).

> PC in,Aux in,Line in.(Audio)

from your PC/Laptop:

did it ever worked as a sound source? ie: use a headphone/speakers.
if it does working,then the problem dwell's within the Y-cable & the TV settings.

On the TV there will be a line in, it very well could be a regular 3.5mm mini-jack just like on your sound card. Thats how it is on my 46" Bravia.

HP wasn't the people you needed to talk to Samsung was. They wouldn't make a tv that accepts a PC input without also being able to handle the sound from that PC.

ckolbas said:
I have a HP Pavillion 9700. I am trying to get it so that I can watch movies on my new Samsung 40 inch HDTV. I got the vga cord so that I have a picture. But, I didn't get any sound. So then I found out that I need the audio cord. so I went and bought a y-cable that has the laptop headphone jack on one side and the red/white audio jacks on the other. I have no sound. I spent 30 min or better on the phone w/ HP only for them to tell me that this is not possible. I don't bye it!! Please help me so that I can call back the HP guy and rub it in his face that TechSpot figured out the issue.

Thanks for stopping bye and reading my question!!

Christian

I have a HP laptop and did the samething you did with a pair of Belkin 1/8 male connector with two male rca connectors for left and right stereo audio.

headphone out to y- adapter to my HDTV video 2 analog audio I get the sound right out of the laptop to the HDTV. Could be your HDTV or the cables your using?

Desktop system you would use either green connector or if you have some sort of 6 channel sound you have to make sure your using the right connection. Go to HP site and look at your motherboard for your system. I had help someone out like a few months back with the same issue. If you have more than one audio output you might be using the wrong one for sound playback.

headphone out to y- adapter to my HDTV video 2 analog audio I get the sound right out of the laptop to the HDTV. Could be your HDTV or the cables your using?

This is exactly what I am doing...I know that the audio jacks on the back of the tv work because I had my dvd player hooked up to those audio jacks and they worked fine. I just bought the cables at best buy. I really think that there is some fn button combo that I have to hit to get the audio to go outbound. (Like with the video fn and f4)

Thanks for the replies
Christian

If you are plugging the audio into where the dvd player went you are doing it wrong. The inputs on the back are almost certainly numbered, Video 1, Video 2, ect.

You absolutely have to plug in the audio into the same number that the video is plugged into, they likely even have a box around them showing that the audio belongs to that number video. If you don't do it that way, then you'll get audio and video on seperate Video settings on the TV. For example you could get audio on Video 1, but no picture. Or picture on another input but no audio.

There is no special combo to get your audio out, you need to unplug your current speakers (or get a splitter) and plug your audio line into that. There isn't a secondary audio out.

Take a picture of the back of your tv and post here if you can, I tried to find a picture online and didn't find one. I think you are simply not putting the audio and video on the same input for the tv.

Edit: Found a picture of what I believe to be the back panel of the samsung 46", yours should be similar.
32514512-2-300-DT1.gif

As you can sort of see the PC/VGA input which I assume you are using, has a line in right next to it. Its the standard 3.5mm mini jack I referenced in post #3
SNGX1275 said:
On the TV there will be a line in, it very well could be a regular 3.5mm mini-jack just like on your sound card. Thats how it is on my 46" Bravia.

If for some reason you are running DVI->HDMI to your tv, it looks like you need to plug it into HDMI 1 and then the audio into the red and white RCA inputs that are labled "(DVI IN HDMI 1)", if you aren't using DVI->HDMI then don't worry about that.

That is exactly what the back of my tv looks like. Thanks for posting that picture..it really helps me understand. I think that I found my problem. Ok so now here is my next question. What is better to go with: The vga cord that I currently have or the hdmi cord?

If your video card has a DVI out, then DVI to HDMI would give you better picture quality.

Thanks everyone for the help! I got everything up and running just like I want! I love it...I really appreciate it all. I was really bummed when I talked to HP and they told me that this wasn't even possible. This is the best troubleshooting website I have ever seen. I tell everyone about and will continue to in the future!

Christian Kolbas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back