No audio when playing video files

Status
Not open for further replies.
System: AMD Athlon CPU, Asus A7N266-VM motherboard, 256MB DDR RAM, 4GB HDD.

I'm unable to play any audio file using WMP9, Crystal Player & Ulead video editing software.

When I try to open an mpeg file with Crystal, I get a message 'can't init directsound for playing audio'.

When I use WMP9 or Ulead, the video file plays without any sound. WMP9 does not play any audio file - MP3, Wav either from the HDD or the CDRom player. I'm able to play CDs thru my LG CDRom player.

WMP9 gave me the following report :
0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000

How I can fix this problem?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go into your device manager, and check to see if there are any yellow exclamation or question marks next to your audio devices.

You could also try reinstalling the drivers for your sound device.

If you`ve got onboard sound then you will need to go to your mobo manufacturers website, and download the latest drivers from there.

If on the other hand, you`ve got a seperate soundcard, then go to the soundcard manufacturers website, and download the drivers from there.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Problem Fixed

Thanks Howard for responding so quickly.
After posting my problem, I kicked myself for not first reinstalling DirectX9.
I did that, restarted my pc and everthing's working fine.
Sorry for posting without first trying the most obvious solution.

Shankar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back