Intel Celeron
633 MHz
255MB RAM
Windows XP Home SP1a
Intel(r) 82810 Graphics Controller
111 gigs
2 fans inside
BIOS PTLTD - 6040000

I have had the computer for about 5 months. Its an average late 90s computer. I used it everyday. A week ago it had been on all day then I just saw the screen go black then the monitor said please check signal. I tried to turn the tower on right after it happened but nothing happened. I unplugged it for a day then tried again the next day, the tower lights came on but no beeps and no bios.

I tested the monitor on a different computer and monitor works, I also tried a different monitor on the dead computer still no signal. I dont think its the power supply. I think its the motherboard. I even switched the 3 volt battery and still nothing. Any suggestion would help.

If you remove the psu connector from the mobo and short the green wire to any black wire that will tell you if the psu is ok or not (it should work when you short it).

I usually connect them together with a piece of wire and have something like a fan connected to see if the fan runs. The psu should run while its shorted then shut off when you disconnect the wire.

I tried the psu and there was something wrong , it didnt start. I had another psu from a different computer and did the test for it and it works so I tried to connect the old psu to the motherboard but still no bios. The older psu is a little bit bigger and it doesent have a power switch on it but it does have a switch to let me change the volt. I changed it to 115 thats what the smaller one used but still no bios. I figured it would work on it since its kind of the same.

the colors all match but the psu im using now has a white cord and the other didnt have a cord in that slot at all so i cut the white cord but still the same thing it turns on but no bios. It also makes the monitor flash for a second making it seem like its going to come on but thats the same thing it did with the other psu, and it does the one second flash on both of the monitors i have tried it on.

The old psu may have blown and damaged something else. This may be a good time to upgrade?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back