No bios, no boot, no windows - black screen

Hi,
I had a bootable USB drive on my PC, it was causing a black screen (when pressing either f9 or f12) and would not boot my USB drive. If doing nothing it would just load windows normally. So after researching I was lead to believe that by resetting the CMOS battery would somehow make it work.

I was wrong.

Now, when I turn my PC on, the screen is black... I can quickly see my computer starting up in the screen with my bios splash screen where it shows the options for bios menu and boot options, then the screen turns black right before showing my mouse cursor.

I never get to see windows load screen...

What's going on here?

I have tried using another screen but it was a tv as well and hdmi. But with no avail... MB doesn't seem to have an onboard GPU.

My specs are:
AMD FX black edition 4.0ghz
Gigabyte 990 UD3
Radeon R9 270 OC Edition
Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB
4TB HDD
PSU 700W
Screen is a flat screen TV Bush connected via HDMI

Cheers

This reminds me of when I first tried to connect my XP desktop to an LCD TV years ago. The boot up all seemed to go OK but when it should have booted into Windows all I got was a black screen. As in your case there are no onboard graphics. I eventually found that the resolution that was set didn't work with the TV. The problem was then how to change the resolution when you can't actually see beyond a black screen. I think that I used a computer monitor and experimented with different resolutions switching back to the TV to check. In the end I got it right but it took quite a while and I ended up using older nVidia drivers. I am using a VGA cable between the TV and desktop. I later replaced the graphics card with one that has an HDMI socket and when I tried using that what came up on the screen was not exactly the same as with a VGA cable. I stuck with the VGA connection because I couldn't get the taskbar to display fully.

Apologies, I missed the stuff right at the start about booting from a usb drive. I have internal drives and although I have an external usb drive it's for storage only. Unfortunately my experience isn't relevant here.

Last edited:
Back