No Bios showing. Montier Not Working. Motherboard Lights red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD 64bit dual core 2.01ghz each

1gb corsair ram, 512 x 2

Sapphire ATi Crossfire xpress 3200 A9RD580ADV

160gb Hatchi Sata HDD (sp?)

Nvidia 7600gs PCi-E, SLi Ready, 256mb

I've plugged everything in, and i'm quite sure it's all been plugged in correctly.

On the motherboard is 3 little lights. Saying:

HDD LED
+5VSB LED
+5VB

The top 2 lights are red, and the bottom light is green. I'm guessing that is symbolising that i have a problem.

When i turn on the computer, my moniter stays on stand by. All the fan's and lights show up, even the LED's on the fans, but i get no action from my moniter.

shouldn't i see the bois information?

------------------------------------

on to my dvd drive. i've plugged it in, with the 4 pin power bit, and an IDE cable which goes into my primary IDE slot.

I get power, but when i press the "eject" button nada happens. When i take OUT the ide cable, the disc tray does actually eject.

i've stuck in an old CD drive and it does the exact same. any reason why?

-----------------------------------

I got this PC off a friend for free. He said it was all working before hand and so on.

The graphics card AND HDD are brand spanking new and have never been used.

Primary suspect is the power supply. The +5VSB should be green. You should either trade out that power supply with another for a test, or obtain a power supply tester. They cost $10 to $25 depending on where you get them. CompUSA has them for $12. Www.directron.com, www.tigerdirect.com and others have them for $15. www.newegg.com has several from $8.99 to $26.99.
But it would be more efficient to just buy and install a new one of at least 400 watts or more for $40 to $65. Antec and Sparkle are good brands. There are 87 brands available... just avoid cheap.
You can also obtain a PCI board post tester for $15 that will test all functions on your board and boot up.
Other power supply clues. From a cold boot, watching with a flashlight or bright light from the back, does the power supply fan turn 1/2 turn or less, then quit?
It could also be a CPU fan.
If you replace the power supply, replace the cpu fan as well, as they are only $12 to $18 for average brands.
These same symptoms will present from a bad memory module, bad video graphics card, bad power switch, bad cable, or a cable socket that has fallen loose from a board pin.
The problem is that troubleshooting takes a long time. But you will learn a lot. and will be even more adept at making repairs next time.

Sorry, but don't take into account your budget. Nobody I know has money to repair their computer.
Although the +5VSB light is red, which is indicative of a power supply issue, it could be other hardware problem... most likely a graphics card or memory. Still you would benefit from testing the power supply first.
Is there a difference when you attempt to boot to Safe Mode, repeatedly pressing the F8 key?
Is there a way to borrow a memory module, or try your memory in another machine? Same with graphics card.
Do you have a floppy drive, so you can boot to a floppy boot disk with the hard drive disconnected?

Hmm, i have no where to test out the graphics card.

maybe i should try some ram in the other slots.

also, the HDD is brand new, so theres no windows on it. So i assume i couldn't even go into safe mode.

once my parents are out, ill steal my brothers PSU and try that out.

okay, so i just stuck in my brothers old PSU.

I put in the 24pins (is it 24 pins?) power bit, and also i put in a 4 pin into my HDD to power that.

i got nothing what so ever. the exact same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back