So I just put together a new pc

P4 dual core 2.88 ghz
1gb ddr ram stick, 1 256mb ddr ram stick
biostar p4800-m7 mainboard
IDE 0: 250 gb HD (m), 120 gb HD(s)
IDE 1: Lite-on CD/RW (m), 80 gb HD (s)
ATI 9800xt
M-Audio audiopile 192

so i install everything, i boot; everything is fine; all the drives show up; it reads my cpu correctly;
so i instert my windows XP pro disk; and nothing. It hangs on a black screen.

no "booting from cd"; or anything

I can go into my bios, everything shows up fine..

normally when i build a PC and put the windows disk in, it gives me the option of booting from the cd is i press something.

but now nothing.

any help?

while your pc is booting, press F11 on and off continuously until you get the boot start selection. then select CD/DVD Rom as first selection, insert windows disc then press SELECT or OK. it should run automatically from there

So i tried your F11 option and it didnt work.

actually F9, F8, and F11 does nothing at all.

It gives me the options, but the only thing that works is F1 "to continue" and Del to enter set up

before I was trying to install windows on the new 250 GB; but it was really loud, didn't sound right.

So i took out the 120 GB drive (which has all my back up info on it); and my new 250 GB drive, and just had my 80 GB set as master.

this is what the screen says

-----

P4800-M7 A (P4M8M421 BS)

Main Processor: Intel (R) Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80 GHZ (2 00x14.0)
Memory Testing: 1309696K OK + 1 M T Seg Memory
CPU Brand Name: Intel (R) Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80 GHZ

EM64T CPU

IDE Channel 0 Master: WDC WD800JB-0DCRA1 17.07WD
IDE Channel 0 Slave: None

IDE Channel 1 Master: (forgot what this says, but it list my CD rom)
IDE Channel 1 Slave: none

IDE Channel 2 Master: none
IDE Channel 3 Master: none

Floppy Disk(s) fail (40) (I never use floppy disk, and my pc's have all worked with out floppy disk)

Press F8 to Enter System Config
Press F9 to Select Booting Device after post
Pres F1 to continue, Del to enter setup

----------------

both F1, and Del work (but pressing F8 and F9 does nothing)

so i would press F1, and it would bring up System Monitor and then text, and go to a blank screen

but now after pressing F11 at that point it keeps saying

"NTDLR Missing"

any clue???

the only option is DEL to enter setup. change the boot order from there if it will let you.

are you sure its the boot order which is causing all these problems?

you don't think it could be hardware related, do you?

No. i am not sure that it is it, but you must go through the process of elimination before anyone can suggest any other cause. if you have built pc's before then you would understand that. if it doesn't work, perhaps you check ide cables etc

1. ALWAYs have a floppy drive- even if you never use it, you will need it for BIOS updating.

2. Switch your IDE channels. Put the CD rom on 0. Put the HD on 1. Select your boot order so the CD rom boots first.

3. Ensure your HD is configured as master. Any secondary hard drives should be selected a slaves with the appropriate jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back