No clean log with AFW after trying to remove "whataboutadog" (and other malware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

colddie89

As requested in the sticky, I have attached my HJT log; hopefully, I did that right! I also attached the awf log from option 1, as I could not obtain a clean log after trying to remove whataboutadog; caused by additional malware, I'm sure.

If more details are required, please tell me and I'll add them as soon as possible!

Attachments

• awf.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Right click on this link DelO15Domains.inf and choose Save As. Save it to your desktop. Right click on that file and choose Install. It will run immediately (you won't be able to see anything happen). You may delete it afterwards. NOTE: This script will delete any sites you may have added to the Trusted Sites. So if you want them back, you have to add them back to the Trusted Sites again.

Double-click FindAWF.exe to start the tool. Then, do the following
Select "option #2 - Restore files from bak folders" by typing 2 and press Enter .
A text file will open up. Please copy/paste the following text from the quote box (all except the word QUOTE) into the text file.

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak\ctfmon.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak\hkcmd.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak\igfxtray.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak\NeroCheck.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\bak\apdproxy.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Ringz Studio\Storm Codec\bak\StormSet.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\ime\IMJP8_1\bak\IMJPMIG.EXE"
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\bak\jusched.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\bak\TINTSETP.EXE"

Close the .txt file and click Yes to save the changes.
When the tool has completed, a report will open up in notepad. Please post the results of the awf.txt in your next reply as an attachment.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of colddie89 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Please double-click the FindAWF icon once again
This time we are going to remove some folders.

Use the following option: Press 3 then Enter to remove bak folders

A text file opens called: folders.txt
Click below the line and paste the following list of folders to be removed:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\bak
C:\Program Files\Ringz Studio\Storm Codec\bak
C:\WINDOWS\ime\IMJP8_1\bak
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\bak
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\bak

Next, close and click Yes to save the changes.

When done with the above, FindAWF automatically runs a new scan and opens a new log that you need to post.
Please provide the new FindAWF log

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of colddie89 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Excellent.

To finish, run Option 4.

Double-click the FindAWF icon once again.
Use the following option: Press 4 then Enter to reset domain zones

When the program returns to the main menu, use the following option:
Press E then Enter to EXIT

Download and run this Symantec/Norton removal tool.

Download combofix.exe. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. A window will open with a warning. Type "1" (and Enter) to start the fix. When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log. Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

You`re running HJT from the wrong locations. See HERE for instructions.

Post a fresh HJT log as well as the Combofix log.

Oh gosh, Norton removal *cringes*. I've been wanting to remove this for a long time, but the horror stories kept me from doing so. I'll post back as soon as I've sucessfully uninstalled it.

Alright! Norton was sucessfully uninstalled, I've uninstalled and installed HJT back to its correct location (and attached a new log), as well as the combofix log.

We need to temporarily disable Spybot search & Destroy`s tea time, as it may interfere with any fix we are trying to run.

Disable Spybot's TeaTimer. This is a two step process.
First:
- Right click Spybot in the System Tray (looks like a calendar with a padlock symbol)
- Choose Exit Spybot S&D Resident
Second:
- Open Spybot S&D
- Click Mode, check Advanced Mode
- Go To Left Panel, Click Tools, then also in left panel, click Resident
- If your firewall raises a question, say OK
- Uncheck the box labeled Resident Tea-Timer and OK any prompts.
- Use File, Exit to terminate Spybot
- Reboot your machine for the changes to take effect.

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code box below into it:
NOTE* make sure to only highlight and copy what is inside the quote box nothing out side of it.
Also ..

Pay particular attention to this :-

Make sure the word File:: is on the first line of the text file you save (no blank line above it, & no space in front of it)
Code:

File::
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rqtwa.bak1
Folder::
C:\qoobox
Registry::
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\~\Browser Helper Objects\{ac4d5648-b5fb-4438-a44c-b252e1df3199}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\~\Browser Helper Objects\{C3BC6C7D-7636-4C6F-8575-84B1F90ED175}]

Save this as CFScript.txt

Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

CFScript.gif

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a fresh HJT log.

I see the 015 trusted zone entry is back in your HJT log.

Right click on this link DelO15Domains.inf and choose Save As. Save it to your desktop. Right click on that file and choose Install. It will run immediately (you won't be able to see anything happen). You may delete it afterwards. NOTE: This script will delete any sites you may have added to the Trusted Sites. So if you want them back, you have to add them back to the Trusted Sites again.

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code box below into it:
NOTE* make sure to only highlight and copy what is inside the quote box nothing out side of it.
Also ..

Pay particular attention to this :-

Make sure the word File:: is on the first line of the text file you save (no blank line above it, & no space in front of it)
Code:

File::
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rqtwa.ini2
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rqtwa.bak2
Folder::

Save this as CFScript.txt

Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

CFScript.gif

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a fresh HJT log.

Run FindAWF option1 and post the resulting awf.txt

All clean.

Delete the following folder.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Thank you so much, I appreciated your help!

This thread is now closed: If you need this thread unlocking, please pm a moderator with a link to the thread.

Only the original thread starter can do this. Anyone else, will be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back