No Connection to Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

davem48

My internet connection has stopped working. This is true in both my email client and in any browser that I open. It appears the browser, or other program, sends a request to connect to a specific server, and then does not get a connection to the server back. The browser times out while waiting for the connection. Outlook does not time out. It just sits.

Can anyone suggest things to check, or to try, to resolve this? It was working fine and next day wouldn't work. BTW, I am running Windows XP – SP2 and numerous security and other updates.

Start by calling your ISP. Tell them about not connecting. Have them check the modem and reset it. It sounds like the modem has gone bad. Do that first and let us know how it goes. If the modem checks out okay and the ISP can't find a reason, we'll take you through checking various settings.

If you have zone alarm firewall right click the Z in the system tray and select Restore zone alarm control center -> Firewall in the left pane -> main tab on the right -> adjust to medium

Or you can do this if you recently installed KB951758 then uninstall it through control panel -> add/remove programs

I don't think it is this, bobbye. Reason is I have 2 other computers that use same account at same ISP. One is a desktop and connects to router via ethernet, and is the one I'm using to post this question. Other two are connected to router via wireless. Just one of the wireless is having this issue. if you think it is still this I will call, but suspect answer is something else. Any other ideas?

My internet connection has stopped working./2 other computers that use same account at same ISP
That is not the case then. The problem is that you have one computer on the network that can't connect! We can only work with the information we're given.

If by chance you got the update BD mentioned on the one system and have Zone Alarm, that could be it. Check in the Device Manager of the problem computer and see if any errors are indicated- yellow triangle w/black exclamation mark. You could have a bad card.

For whatever reason Internet access on this computer just started working again. I didn't take any other action to troubleshoot or fix the problem. I just went to the Internet and it worked. I'll probably never know why. Just have to chalk it up to another Microsoft fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back