No CPU Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ASUS a7v333 motherboard with a amd 1800+ processor cooled by a ThermalTake 7 heatsink/fan.
Its done it a few times before, but recently when i start up my computer in the morning (it seems to happen only in the morning, maybe because its colder) but when i turn my computer on, It says "No CPU detected, No CPU detected" verbally. Then after a few seconds, it beeps like the computer should when it turns on, and boots like nothings happened. Does anyone have any idea why it does this, or how i go about correcting it?

My computer runs pretty hot, an average of 52-58 degrees idling. The airflow isnt great, so I was considering buying a new fan, hopefully thats more quiet, Zalman 6000-cu perhaps.

Anyway, id appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem, thanks.

Check that the memory and CPU are seated correctly into their slot and socket. Thats the first thing to do when experiencing any problem with devices not being detected when the system posts. I can't see any other reason straight off why this error would be occuring and then booting normally. Could try and barebones boot up to see if some other device is causing the issue. Hard disk, 1 stick of memory and the CPU.

Thats the thing, I dont think theres anything wrongly connect, because it always boots, I dont even have to restart the computer, it just says 'no cpu installed' right before the normal boot. It also doesnt do this every time (although its becoming more and more common) so I dont think i would be able to effectivly test peices...

What can I do when i figure out the problem of the hardware, I really cant afford to replace it... not if its still working.

Very odd, IMO. How many watts is your PSU? Sounds like maybe the drives, etc. are taking too much power & the CPU isn't being detected 'til after they power off. Might be part of the heat problems too > if your running a weak PSU, the fans aren't turning as fast as they should. :rolleyes:

Just a thought & HTH,

JAV may be on to something. Motors require more power to start than to run, every fan and drive in your system has a motor, so whatever they require to run normally, double that and thats close to what they need to start, now add in the rest of the power requirements.

Try disconnecting a few things, maybe a CD drive and a couple of case fans, or some other non-essential devices, power on the system and see if it still happens.

You know, that probably is the problem. Theres no real way for me to test it because when it comes on it pretty random, but that makes sense, because sometimes if i just turn off then on my computer i only hear NO CPU INSTALLED once, instead of usual once. Ive heard of at least one other person having this happen to them on another forum, but to no solution.
As for my power supply, it blows, and not in a well ventilated sense. It came with a cheap, 29 dollar case. Actualy, since the day i turned my computer on, ive gotten errors on ASUS probe sayiong that my 12v power was going to high, constantly past 13v, and sometimes higher. There was nothing i could do to stop it, so i just ignored it due to the fact it works anyway.

I guess the best solution for me is to get a new case/power supply. Ive been wanting to make my computer quieter too, so maybe i can get a good deal somewhere with a water cooling case... can anyone recomend something for me?

thanks for the help

Unless you "need" a new case, if you need more bays or more room for watercooling or something, then you just need a new PSU. I'd suggest at least a 400W but maybe more or less according to what components you have.

You also want to make sure to get a good one because a cheap PSU can kill your system, contrary to popular belief. Cheap PSUs have horrible leakage current and tend to be plagued with spikes and surges because of cheap components and shoddy craftmanship. These high and low voltage spikes can fry your components, or at the least, shorten their life expectancy.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Unless you "need" a new case, if you need more bays or more room for watercooling or something, then you just need a new PSU. I'd suggest at least a 400W but maybe more or less according to what components you have.

Yeah but buying a new case with PSU is often cheaper than buying a separate PSU.

yes that is what the problem is man..........i had the exact same problem when upgrading my mother board (msi k7t turbo)
i think hehe i forgot all the numbers

i was running a 230w power supply HAAAA yeah 230 w trying to power a geforce ti4600 and all that other stuff with the big fans and motors

so i upgraded to 300 watt and never had a problem sence

good work;)

Hello
I have the same problem on Asus A7v333

The post lady speek No CPU INSTALLED.
Buit it is installed, and the pc boots normally (1 beep) and they detect the cpu speed(2000+) and the hard disk and the memory.Then the system enter on the Windows XP normaly.
My question is Why This appen. i do not compreend this.

Can You tell me if you Fix your Problem.

Thanks
Send me a email.

I have the same motherboard and processor as you, and i can tell you, you're problems definately stem from the powersupply... i had a 23 dollar L&C 350watt PSU before, and i got a 'No Hard Disk Detected' message many a time on reboot... finally, when the PSU sparked and almost shattered my case, i decided it was time to spring for something a little better... I ended up getting a 420watt Thermaltake, and ALL my problems went away... it reboots faster, the fans don't slow any more (my heatsink Q-fan used to run at 4500-4600... but now it runs at a constant 4890rpm... neet eh?), and i can actually notice a difference in my OCed video card now...

Seriously, spring for the better quality PSU and you won't be disappointed...
Buy one crappy component, and you jepordize your entire system.

Hello,

Thank's for the msg.

I have a 300 watts PSU, and i waiting for a new PSU 450watt.
My fan speed is +/- 3200rpm. and the cpu temp. is +/- 40ºc. with 1017 bios updated. with bios 1005 (original bios) the temp. goes to 55ºc+/-.( the fan is original from amd)

The PC works fine in Win98 SE, but in Win XP Pro and Pro with SP1, the sound freez and the games image hangs. all system hangs whit the sound making a strange noise.

Did your PC does this...???

Any Way thanks againe for your msg.

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back