TechSpot

No defragmentation tool?!?!?

By MarkittyMayhem
Jan 27, 2006
  1. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it that has no defragmentation tool installed on it, does anyone know where I can download this .exe file? I've searched Google and Microsoft... to no avail.

WTF?

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

First,are you certain you can`t find it ? Have you tried typing defrag in the run box ? Is it hiding on the XP CD ? If you need something to fill the gap,try this- http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207 It`s better than the Windows version.

3. hotice

hotice TS Rookie Posts: 22

Try Number 280 left column
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    But i'd personally agree with Peddant, that is a far better option, fast and efficient and the paid version is ideal to set to run on the system or scheduled for daily defrags etc.

4. MarkittyMayhem

MarkittyMayhem TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks!

I'm positive it isn't on the laptop. I can't even get msconfig to pop up in the run command box. I think my only choice is to wipe it clean and reinstall windows, something is seriously wrong with its Windows OS. When I try to hunt it down in properties ( defragment ) it is simply not lit up. Says there is no tool installed.

I appreciate the links though, perhaps I will just install the defragmenter tool there and see what I can do with it. But the msconfig missing is now making me scratch my head as well.

5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

you've likely not got view system files allowed

in windows explorer click tools folder, options, view. Find the option for hidden folders and files and set it to show hidden files and folders.

Then try run - defrag

6. xero

xero TS Rookie Posts: 94

Policies from the company's AD servers? login locally instead of domain.

start->run->compmgmt.msc<enter>
    left column, find disk management and below disk management; defragmentation

7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

ya reload you may be hijacked
    or trojon'ed up, no msconfig is a good sign

8. xero

xero TS Rookie Posts: 94

spyware is also a possibility

start->run->regedit<enter>
    go to key hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

any suspicious processes?

or cant u run regedit either?

Topic Status: