TechSpot

No desktop icons, taskbar or right mouse click

By pstierne
Sep 19, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I turn on my computer, the icons and taskbar show up at first, but then disappear. All thats left is the background. It wouldn't right mouse click either. Someone mentioned that I should replace explorer.exe with a known good one from another computer. I did that, now my computer starts up and goes directly to blue screen of death. Now I don't know what to do! Any ideas?
  2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Hi, pstierne, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for newcomers

Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to other members of the forum too :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful

With regards to your problem, when your desktop stuff disappears press ctrl + alt + del and click File > New task and type explorer.exe

however if you can't get to the desktop at all try getting into safe mode by pressing F8 a few times before the xp loading screen
  3. pstierne

pstierne TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanx Daveskater. Im in Phoenix az. I tried doing safemode, but like before, it just goes to the blue screen of death. It says:

Stop: d0000034 Unknown Hard Error
    Unknown Hard Error
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump completed
    Contact your system administrator...etc...etc..etc
  4. Daveskater

ok, when you copied explorer.exe over, i don't suppose you made a copy of the old version, either by renaming it or putting it in a new folder etc :)
  5. pstierne

No I didn't. Does that mean I'm Screwed? Just to let you know, I have Barts PE Boot disk, so I can still go in and do stuff.
  6. Daveskater

it doesn't necessarily mean we can't fix it ;)

if you can connect the hard drive of the pc into another working pc as a slave drive then you can back up the files you want to keep then you will have to put the drive back in its own pc and re-install windows, then put the hard drive back in the other pc and get your files back :)
  7. pstierne

Is it possible to just delete explorer.exe and use the WINXP SP2 cd to do some kind of repair?
  8. Daveskater

that may be possible, you can do a repair install with the xp disc but i'm not sure whether that would delete your personal files or not because i've never done one :)
  9. pstierne

okay thanx. I guess I'll try that
  10. Daveskater

ok, but you will want to look up whether it will delete your personal files or not, or just back them up in case
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.