"no disk in drive" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddieguard

I think this may be a new one... for some reason whenever I try to run Spybot SD or Ad-Aware my computer starts popping up this message that there is no disc in the drive, but I haven't changed any hardware. Spybot will make me press continue or cancel everytime it checks a new little file before it will continue. Does anybody know the cause or cure for this? The problem is I can't get through spybot because this heats up my computer so much that it will shut down before I can get through it (I'm working on getting it fixed.) I tried messing with the drive, but no dice.

Does anybody know the cause or cure for this?

Thanks,

Eric

well, it turns out my brother used my computer and took out the drive before telling my computer that he ejected it... Now if I try to eject it, I can't and I can't use a different drive to replace it either. Anyone know how fix this?

basically what has happened is that the BIOS has not "unmounted the drive" via the system bus. I would reboot the system with a cold start, that usually helps. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to reset the CMOS and put all your settings back.

ensure that your brother didn't change the dip switch settings on the drive either.

My bro said that he didn't change the dip switch settings, but the cold boot wasn't enough to reset it. I posted this in the hardware forum, too, when I realized that was the real problem though, and Rik showed me a way to do it through "my computer." So it's all good.

Thanks

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back