No display after overclocking attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasquedNinja

Unfortunately my first post has to be about a little problem I'm having, and as the title implies...I'm not sure what's wrong. Shortly after my buddy over clocked my PC, I couldn't get a signal on my monitor. He says that the overclock would have nothing to do with the video card, but that doesn't stop the fact that my monitor can't get a signal from my PC. The fan still works on the card, so it may not be the card, and it could be the adapter. I don't know that much about PC hardware, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. Thanks to any and all who post help ;)

if something goes wrong immediately after a change, the first thing i do is to undo the change first, if possible. my view on overclocking is this, why take the risk of wrecking your pc. an upgrade is safer and cost you, but clocking can cost more.
anyway good luck, and i hope it is a minor prob:grinthumb

Hi, umm... most first posts are usually about a problem :cool:. So Depending on the type of over-clocking he did i would need to know your system specs, and if your using an extreme-edition processor. Because sometime racing the FSB effects the whole computer the ram and the graphics card. If he overclocked beyond the point of which it can handle this could happen(not saying it is).

and tomrca is right i would spend the little extra buck because "it's better to be safe, than sorry"

Well it's an older PC, like around 6, and offhand I can't really remember the specs -.- But he didn't do it much just like 11x from 10x and I can't remember how much more of anything else, just because he didn't know what it could take. It was probably one of the better ALL-IN-WONDER cards 6 years ago, which is all I know about it :\

But I'm worried about fixing it, just because I have an extra harddrive on there and I don't know if resetting everything would drop that addition and we'd have to go back and do all that over again. But if we took away the overclock is there a possibility that it would go back to getting the signal? If not I'm about to spend 110 bucks to fix a problem that might have a much cheaper solution. Also you said it could affect the ram, so is there a possibility it's fried as well?

Well...If I could see anything I would :D

I'm on said buddies PC right now, he came over to check parts so I could order said improved instead of overclocking...Friends don't let friends overclock their PCs ;D

MasquedNinja said:
Well...If I could see anything I would :D

good point!!!!:haha:

MasquedNinja said:
friends don't let friends overclock their PCs ;D
true
can said buddy undo the said thing to correct the said fault. anyway thats enough said.
sorry MasquedNinja. couldn't resist it. hope that you got a sense of humour: :wave: :wave:

:\ Well, I was afraid if he reset all that, then we'd have to go back and hook up my other harddrive again, which took is quite awhile. And yeah, now that I look back upon "said" posts, I suppose that word is a little over used ;) It was just the CPU he tweaked not the card. Well I just bought a new card, should I reset the bios and all that before installing it? Just incase it isn't ready? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130076 <--That's the card.

the only thing that will need to be done if the over clock was in the BIOS is to pull the battery out of the mother board once this is done u will need to go back in and set the boot order and any other thing u had changed as everything will be set back to factory settings... unless there has been parts burnt up which I do not think by the little time it has been run over clocked.

good luck

Youll need to reset the BIOS, If you cant get a post ,,, Then ull need to remove battery and possibly change jumper, then change back to reset, System should boot up again! ,,
gl,

It has no problem booting up, my moniter just can't get a signal. It could be something so simple as the adapter is fried, but I guess it really doesn't matter because I bought a new video card. lol

Did you follow advice and reset the bios yet? If so how did it turn out? I was messing with RAM and CPU settings in bios in a syestem like a week ago and had this same problem. The computer acted like it was starting like normal only there was no display. I switched the jumper to reset the bios and it was back to normal.

Well, I don't know how to do it as well as my friend and he's kind of gone, I was just going to wait till my vid card gets here to mess with it again, but after that I might go do that.

My computer is doing this same thing and even after my BIOS settings are reset it still does it. I think the problem is when the BIOS is set to default it says the default video adapter is PCI (I am using an AGP card). I can't get a signal to change this. Oh and my computer starts up right when it gets power. the start button and reset button do nothing.

Well I pulled the battery out and it worked just fine, plus the new video card brings me so much joy. Best broken PC I ever had =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back