No display after replacing heat sink

Codious

I need some help.
So the fan on my heatsink went out which was causing my computer to crash from overheating. So I got a new heatsink and just installed it.
Go to hook every thing back up and now I have no display from the gpu.

The fan on the gpu is running. I tried reseating it in the pci-e a couple times but nothing. I can hook to the onboard graphics and get a display, pc boots up fine. No video adapter is showing up in the video adapter window from advanced settings in screen resolution. And the gpu doesnt show up in device manager either. Tried to reinstall the drivers for the gpu but I get an error telling me I dont have compatible hardware and the installation cancels. Also checked the bios, pci-e is set as my primary adapter. And I have no option to disable onboard graphics.

Any suggestions? The display worked fine before I changed the heatsink. Im wondering if unseating the cpu to clean it messed up some settings on the mobi somewhere? Idk

I would try the GPU & its cable in another system, just to determine if it can be considered 'good'. If 'good' and considering all you already have done, I would haul out the motherboard manual (or download it from manufacturer) and double check my understanding of 'how it should work" AND I would take strong light and a magnifier and closely inspect the PCI-e slot.

Years ago had similar w/ AGP slot - a tiny piece of solder/metal had infiltrated.

Good luck.

ps Popular whipping boy, Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade has been causing many strange things...could this be one? If you have vers 1607, it is possible.

Unfortunately I dont have another system to test it in. Im concerened that I may have damaged the gpu or the pci-e slot when I removed it to take out the mobo. I troed to clean out the slot with an aircompressor but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. The gpu is a gtx 760 and only alittle over a year old. It does not have any "cable" only what connects to it from the psu

Cable from card to monitor... also look closely at GPU - might be a tiny problem - does 760 need 6-pin?
Oh, I have tested on two different monitors one with hdmi one with vga. Its not the monitor or the cable. They also work with the onboard card so its not that..
It takes a 6 pin and an 8(using a 6+2 from a modular psu)

Ive also noticed yhe gpu fan seems to be twice as loud as normal, yet the computer is acting like nothings in the pci-e slot

Ive also noticed yhe gpu fan seems to be twice as loud as normal, yet the computer is acting like nothings in the pci-e slot
Probably card is set to run at maximum until drivers are loaded. Drivers aren't loaded because system does not see the card - would indicate the problem is the card - device manager should register the existence of the card... do you have another GPU with which you can test the PCI-e slot? still very likely need to test GPU in another system. Yes, I know I'm saying this casually, but I have 7 computers in various stages of completeness, so I do this all the time.

If nothing else, remove GPU entirely, reboot and check Device Manager to make sure no other errors. Then power down and reinsert GPU and all power and monitor connectors and make sure they are completely connected - and boot up one more time.

Yeh thats what I was thinking with the fan running full blast. its got all the power it needs but nothing to tell it how fast to spin so its just going all out.

Okay, so I dont have another PC to test the gtx760 in, but I do have a broken old PC with a working BFG gpu in it. so I pulled it out to test it in the PC Im working on now.. and it worked just as it should.
So now I know the PCI-e slot is still good.. It's something to do with the gtx760. I went back and examined it very carefully. There is no visible damage. Some discoloration on the metal where the video outlets are though. Anyways during my examination I flipped it upside down and heard something rattle inside... Flipped it the other way and heard the sound again. Sooo it looks like something inside of it has broken loose. Probably when I pulled out the everything to clean the cpu, something broke inside the gpu casing. I dont know how but process of elimination is pointing to that.

Time to check YouTube for videos about tearing down your GPU - one of the 'cleaning' or 'replace thermal paste' vids can be very helpful

I'm going to try and find my receipt first. I feel like I bought an extended warranty on it from microcenter. If the warranty is expired then, looks like the only choice I have left is to try and fix it myself.

I'm going to try and find my receipt first. I feel like I bought an extended warranty on it from microcenter. If the warranty is expired then, looks like the only choice I have left is to try and fix it myself.
Some credit cards may also provide extended coverage.

Back