No display issue occurring randomly

Danmatjac

Hey guys, looking for some help on something that is driving me mad! Turn my pc on and there is no display. (not a new build, not and incorrectly installed cpu etc) There are no beeps and this is the part that gets me, sometimes it works perfectly fine, other times there will be no display, I'll turn off and on again and it will work. The frustration comes at times when I simply can not get a display of any kind.

I have tried multiple outputs, cables and both hdmi and dvi. Also different gpu's.

Then the pc will come on and work there are no issues and everything works great.

Please let me know if any further details will help.

IF it always comes back on if it was on, but doesn't come on when it has been sitting for a period of time (especially overnight), I would think it was a failing solder joint - where contact is good if it is a bit warm, but not good if overnight in cool room. I am puzzled that there are no beeps...does it beep at all? does it give the one beep for POST - OK? If POST is OK then I think that the issue may be with the monitor. I've got one which has a failing power connection - and it may not come on unless I give it a jiggle. Since it is my 4th machine (special purpose), I haven't fixed it yet, but when I do I will be inspecting all solder joints under strong light and magnification.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Took the whole system apart last night and rebuilt, no luck. Tested with no ram and I get the beeps to signal there is no ram. Sometimes it comes on fine, other times no display, no bios, nothing. When there is no display, all fans, gpu, hdd etc power on.

" Sometimes it comes on fine, other times no display, no bios, nothing." Just to confirm, you are saying "no display, but POST is 'ok' - got the single beep - and "all fans, gpu, hdd etc power on".

Still think it may be an issue with monitor or cable...have you tried another monitor? another cable?

Hi, I have tried 2 different outputs, a monitor and a TV, both known to be working fine. J have used multiple cables to gannet and tried both hdmi and dvi, same results regardless.

To restate: power on, POST 'ok' - single beep, all fans turn, everything seems right EXCEPT sometimes no display - other times have display - nothing different in or about system - just unpredictable binary result as display is on/off - and this is so with a variety of cables and of power cords and of monitors...

Congratulations on your version of Schrodinger's cat.....

Is that exactly correct - or did I add/miss something?

After "no display" event, have you checked Event Viewer for errors with related timestamp?

The only other idea which comes to me is that the video card is failing but in a manner which avoids video error beeps during POST. This might be a sign of an error in BIOS if you also have on board IGP which sneaks into operation - cutting the feed to the display from the external card. Latest BIOS?

Thanks you for such a detailed response and taking the time to try and help me. You are correct except there is no beep when no display. My system doesn't beep when it comes on but will beep once if I enter the bios. When there is a display, the system will beep and enter bios if I press the del key, but other times, no display, no beep, only fans spinning. I have recently changed my gpu but this problem existed with my previous one too. I also considered a psu issue and replaced my older psu with a brand new one, no change. If there are any other details I could provide that may make this easier please let me Know. Latest bios is installed also.

Hi all. I am hoping to borrow a friends pc with a similar build to test all of my components, also to test their components on my mobo. Ill also try my system in another case just to eliminate any possible issues there.
If I still have no luck but my other components work when attached to another mobo then im going to settle that this is a mobo issue. so onto my next question...

I will need a new mobo! Being January and not at all planning to buy anything new I will be on a serious budget, I realise ill probably have to downgrade from my current mobo but if it isn't working, I guess anything would be an upgrade.

Any suggestions? Ill have around £50.

Back