1. Hello,
    First off, here are the specs.

Toshiba A215-S4817
    2Gig memory
    ATI Radeon X1200 graphics card
    160GB HDD
    15.4" LCD monitor
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Heres the problem. I recently received "a very nice blue screen" after trying to play Spider-Man 1. After restarting, no display at all. I hooked up the laptop to an external device (widescreen tv). The dislay shows up perfectly on the tv, on the laptop screen nothing(by the way I tried the flashlight trick) its definitely not the backlights fault. I looked in the display settings, it shows only the tv is connected. No signs of the laptop display on there. The computer works perfectly as though nothing happened. I tried reinstalling and uninstalling the video drivers too, to no avail. I checked also to see if the laptop screen was connected securely, it was.

When restarting the computer,there was no "windows has recovered from an error" message. I also checked in the Problems&Solutions part, couldn't find anything related to this problem, as the latest problem on there was a week ago. All that happened was a blue screen (an unusual one at that) saying something about "check video BIOS settings" and Windows has stopped to prevent from an error (this time without any code.

What should I do (before going to a local repair center) ? I am a pretty good expert on tech stuff anyway.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

Using the external monitor, reinstall the laptops motherboard video drivers

3. ruphert

ruphert TS Rookie

Solution from Toshiba Support:

STEP1: shut down laptop.
    STEP2: unplug charger if plugged in.
    STEP3:remove battery. (use switches labeled 1 and 2)
    STEP4: Hook up acadapter (charger)
    STEP5:turn on computer with no battery, only using ac adapter.
    STEP6:Go to control panel
    STEP:7 On left click classic view
    STEP8: Click POWER OPTIONS
    STEP9: Under BALANCED click on CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS
    STEP10: click CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS
    STEP 11: Scroll down and double click PROCESSOR POWER MANAGEMENT
    STEP12: Under MINIMUM PROCESSOR STATE change both the on battery and plugged in percentages from 5% to 100%.
    STEP13: click APPLY the OK
    STEP14 shut down
    STEP15:unplug ac adapter and put in battery.
    STEP16: Plug in ac adapter
    STEP17:REBOOT

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.