No display on monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal_Ox

hey everyone, i'm having a problem with my computer. One day it's fine, next day something's wrong with it...ok, well here are the details...you know when you have your computer off but your monitor on, the monitor light next to the power button will blink, meaning it's on standby, so when you turn your computer on, the light will stay solid and your monitor will show the display? Well, the monitor light still blinks when i turn on the computer, and nothing comes up on the screen...so i think something's wrong with the video card, but if it's just the video card, wouldn't windows still start and the welcome song come on my speakers even tho nothing is on the screen? I am not sure what to do here, please help me? could it be my mother board or chip? i highly doubt it tho...one thing to note, is that the hard drive light comes on and stays solid for like 10 to 15 seconds and then goes away (no more blinking) as soon as i hit the power button.....any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks and god bless.

Here's a list of things it might be: (in order IMO)

1. Dead Power Supply unit (PSU)
2. Dead CPU
3. Dead mobo
4. Overheating CPU which shuts down almost immdeiately.

If it was a RAM or video card problem you should hear beeps (in code) from the BIOS. But the way you described it you are not. Is this correct?

Give us details of your rig. mobo, CPU, video card, how much ram, PSU (Watts, amps on each voltage 3.3, 4 and 12). How many HDD, optical drivers, etc.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I suspect you may have a mobo problem.

Shut down your computer and open the case.

Make sure everything is connected an seated correctly.

With the case still open, start your computer. Do all the fans spin?

Check your mobo for bulging or leaking capacitors. See HERE for further info.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Going to agree with Howard on this one. Having a very similar problem with my computer right now. Like Howard said check your caps. If there doesn't seem to be any damage there then I would sa you are probably looking at a dying psu. If there doesn't seem to be any aparent damage I would get a second psu and hook it all up with out taking your other one out to just test and see if the problem is still there.

hey thanks for replying...well there are no beeps, but everything seems to be in working order...meaning the mobo, and power supply...i'm not very tech saavy...but i think i have a epox8arda+ mobo, 512mb ram, 1 harddrive, amd 1.5 ghz chip and a ati 9500 pro 128mb card...it'can't be the power supply, cause the thing turns on and stays on...i'm guessing the mobo still works, cause on the epox8arda, there's a digital display that shows "FF" so it must be on...i don't know, and i don't want to start buying something for the computer when it ain't broken cause i'm dirt poor right now..thanks for the help

Just because they look like they are working doesn't mean they are. You need to open up that case and check those caps to see if there is any damage there (see Howards link).If there is nothing noticable there it is time to test the power supply.

Even though everything seem to be working doesn't mean that psu is putting out enough power or that the all the parts of the motherboard are getting the powere they need. That is why you have to check these sort of things to start eliminating possiblities of what the problem could be until you find the actual problem

hmmm...i'll check for that leak when my bro gets home cause i just got surgery and can't move too much...when we opened the computer, all the fans were spinning, even the video cards...hey jimbo, so does your monitor not show anything and does the monitor light keep blinking as if on standby? thanks

Sometimes and sometimes it just reboots on itself all together. Waiting on a payday to get replacement parts now.

Well no beeps and all the fans spinning usually means the CPU or the mobo is dead. It could mean the 5V output is dead on the PSU, this can happen, one output go dead but the 2 others still work.

Like I said in my first post, if the video card is dead, the BIOS "knows" this after the POST (power on self test) and will "know" it can't display the info so it beeps out a message. Without RAM it can't load the Windows OS ( it can't access the HDD) so again it beeps, because also without RAM it can't access the video card!

Howard thinks it's the mobo and I agree with a twist, it could be the CPU instead. Either way, bad mobo, then the CPU doesn't work and you have no POST, no video, no computer. If the CPU is dead, then the mobo is just a nice looking group of electronics and you have no POST, no video and no computer.

Sry guy, maybe you should have your brother take into a shop. The only thing you can try is borrow a PSU, just...just in case the 5V or 3.3V output is dead.

Take care. If you have any more questions or not sure, please post back here.

hey thanks...i checked for capacitor leaks, but couldn't really find any, but i did find a few capacitors with corrosion on top of them, like some brown color stains on top of some of the capacitors...also, i tried to take out the power supply outlet that hooks up to the video card, but it wouldn't come out...i used alot of pressure and it still wouldn't unhook...you think this might be the problem? do you guys think that the psu outlet "fused" with the video card jack? it's really hard to take eachother apart...but when the cpu is powerd on, the fan on the video card still runs....thanks guys

Cal_Ox said:
i did find a few capacitors with corrosion on top of them, like some brown color stains on top of some of the capacitors
That brown stuff is from inside the capacitor. They have started to leak. Time to start shoping for a new motherboard at least. Still should test that psu though. Sometimes bad psus are what can casue the motherboards to start going bad like this.

oh shoot, that's going to be alot of money, you have any recommendations jimbo and the bang for the buck stuff for mobo? can all cases fit all mobos? i have a epox 8arda+ right now thanks

If you have a standard case then you should be able to fit any standard motherboard. I don't really have any recommendations off the top of head because it really depends on what you do with the computer and what other componets you have, such as memory, proc, AGP or PCIe Video Card, IDE or SATA HDD.

All very important to look at when shopping for a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back