No Display on Windows Start - BIOS not helping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

After a long wrestle, I've just installed a Radeon X1650 Pro into my old Compaq Presario 6000. It was working very well through a couple of reboots, but now I get Windows opening without any video output. The mouse cursor is visible and movable, and all the audio cues are going off -- it's strictly a display issue.

I've tried working in BIOS to isolate the problem, but the onboard graphics don't seem to be interfering with the new card (and they didn't with the previous 128 MB model, either). I had a system crash while playing Civ 4 and came back at low res right before the problem started to occur, so I've tried bringing up the aperture to 256 -- still nothing.

Any advice? I've got a lot of work to do today, and ATI tech support isn't open on weekends!

When you installed the new graphics driver, did you uninstall the old one first? Which Catalyst version did you use? ....or did you install a new driver?

Hi! Thanks for the quick response!

As you might be able to tell from my first post below, I was having a rough time with installation -- it turns out I had a bad version of .NET 2.0 Framework.

I wound up uninstalling all my old ATI drivers and starting fresh with Catalyst 7.4. Install went without a hitch after that, and it worked fantastically for about three hours.

As a temporary fix, do you think replacing the card with the older one work, or would the new drivers keep me stuck in the blind state anyway?

Yes, you can try reinstalling the older card. The new drivers could still work with the older card if it is an ATI but it depends on how old it is. For example, the new drivers no longer support the 9200 series and below

If it worked fine for awhile, it is possible something is wrong with it and you might have to return it under warranty. However, it could also be another component such as the power supply. As an older unit and one that possibly was marginal to begin with, the new card might have been too much for it. BTW, the minimum recommended power supply is 350W for that card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back