No Dvd Drive Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

murzyn1975

I wanted to burn a file over 2GB using Nero. When I tried this I was told that I have to use DVD-ROM (UDF), which I did. However, the burn process failed at about 32% and the computer froze. I reset the PC and since then I have no DVD drive in BIOS as well as in windows. I must mention that before trying to burn this file I burnt 9 DVDs in ISO mode without any problems. I found a thread on the Microsoft website (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060) and tried this but the problem still exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the connectors at the back of the drive? Just in case!

If possible, try the drive in another IDE channel (different port on the board) or another PC.

Apart from that the drive may have developed a fault.

I tried a different IDE channel but this did not help. The strange thing is that when I check in device manager the place where the DVD drive was listed I now have a "Floppy disk controller listed"

I'd say that you may have accidentally enabled this when you were in the BIOS. The DVD drive isn't there but I'd check again in the BIOS and set the IDE settings to auto-discover drives. Maybe even load defaults?

hmmm.... that means that the HD is connected via SATA while the DVD is IDE.

I'm not sure what else you could try. You may have to replace the DVD drive, but if it is a problem with the motherboard then that won't help.

it could be a problem with the motherboard as this is the first thing I noticed when a new MB wet out, the DVD stopped working then about a week later the whole thing died.

The problem has been solved. I took my PC apart, cleaned it, flashed the bios and it seems to have done the job.
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back