No Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I had a working Inno 8500gt graphics card, and wanted to change it to a known to be working BFG 8800gtxoc. When I put the new card into the computer I somehow forgot to plug in the additional power supply cables that go into the card (the old one doesnt have any but I dont know how I could be so stupid) when I switched on the computer there was a horrible loud screaching sort of sound (not sure if it is motherboard alarm) so I switched off the power straight away, realised I hadnt connected the power cables so did that then switched on again. No nasty sound, but no graphics, monitor stayed blank. Computer sounded like it was starting up ok tho. So replaced the original graphics card and switched on - still no graphics - the fan on the graphics card is working but nothing on the monitor. I reset the CMOS but still nothing, but also no error beeps from the computer.
As I have no graphics at all I dont think there is anything else I can do but replace the motherboard....
What I really dont understand is why not plugging the power cables in would have caused the PCI-e slot to die on me... I havent seen anything to suggest the graphics card wont work with the motherboard but I could be wrong
Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas or reasons why this has happened would be muchly appreciated
I can get the same motherboard and replace it, but Im worried if I put the graphics card in (and connect it properely) is the same thing likely to happen
Thanks
Abit IP35-e motherboard
Intel E6850 core2duo CPU
Corsair HX520 PSU

could you somehow try the monitor on a different pc? also check the conenctions to the monitor...AFIK not plugging in the power cable shouldnt kill the PCI-E slot

The monitor was working fine and I think it still is as it says no signal but I can try hooking it up elsewhere.... tried different connectors and cables to the monitor but no change
But I am glad Im not the only one who thinks not plugging in the power shouldnt kill the pci-e slot :) only thing is it did make a really horrible sound that stopped when the power was connected

I think it was the PC as it was really loud and I know there is an alarm for various things if its going wrong - not totally sure tho

hmm, and now even ur old card does not work? and can u try to connect ur pc to the tv using the S-Video port? if that works then itll rule out the possibility of a fried PCI slot and GPU

Nope the old card, which I know is ok, makes no difference - so it must be the pci-e slot thats had it and possibly the new graphics card as well but I dont have another pci-e to try it out on - just tried connecting it to the tv using s-video, using the old card but nothing - Im gonna have to replace the motherboard. It still seems strange that not plugging power in can cause damage, it dont make sense to me - but thanks for the help its appreciated :)
You have given me an idea tho! I wonder if Ive got an old pci graphics card that I could try using so that I could at least access the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back