No hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just got a new Vista laptop and i was going to install Xp onto it. Came to put it on and its saying there is no hard disk present. Now i have found its a ATA drive so i need extra drivers via a floppy disk or use a raid slipstream i think its called. Now i do not have a floppy drive right now, or know where to find the drivers but if someone could point me in the direction of how to overcome this problem i would be most grateful!

Thanks alot Alex

Thats useful, but just tells you how to install xp and create the dual boot. I can do that bit i just have the problem installing xp as it says there is no hard disk present.

Ok, i know my way around a computer, but for once i just cant understand that could you please explain it in a better form of english! Thanks :blush:

You said ATA drive which would be another name for an IDE drive. Do you really mean SATA (serial ATA) drive? Because typically when you begin to install Windows XP on a SATA hard drive, you get a message about setup not seeing your hard drive.

Ordinarily, you will have an opportunity to press F6 to install third party drivers right at the beginning of the Windows XP installation. However, you do need an internal floppy drive for this procedure to work. Since you don't have one, you can slipstream Windows and the SATA/RAID drivers. But I think you know that already.

The problem is finding the drivers to slipstream. Usually you go the laptop's manufacturer's website, locate the XP compatible drivers and download them. I would go ahead and try this. However, it's possible that when you look up your laptop or motherboard, you might only find Vista drivers since your laptop came that way and maybe it has never been available with XP. If so, you might have to search around for XP compatible drivers for your laptop. But maybe you'll be lucky and find XP drivers at the mobo website.

Been on the website. And i got the chipset drivers and there is Xp ones in there which is a result, but not sure if it is the chipset drivers i need. I tryed just put them on my flash pen and it worked as Xp thought it was a floppy drive but it then said it was the wrong drivers. http://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?ID={492318d1-b066-43fd-b0f0-17abbbb35be6}&CatID={e7040c55-00c2-4940-81c6-e77ef6ade031} There is the chipset drivers. I think i am right in getting these drivers but if i am not could someone point me otherwise.

Are you using vista 64 or 32 bit? I know reverting to 32 bit xp can cause hard drives issues. I had the same problem on my desktop. I wound up having to use a format disk from the hard drive home site. Was a simple download and write to a cd, restart, and it will detect drives, then you format there. Then try to install w/e you like. Hope that helps.

I don't think anyone can point you toward anywhere since you have yet to identify your laptop's brand and model. Drivers are quite specific.

Sorry about that, its a philips-freevents xp59 http://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?ID={4032f548-697d-48a0-9401-f3233773e917}&CatID={d0f177ca-4491-4663-af61-b06cea215e8d} Thats got a list of all the hardware and the hardrive is a hitachi hts541210h9sa00

It appears that your Intel® 945PM Express Chipset is covered by the driver you linked to. I can't say if the SATA drivers are included, however. Hopefully, they are.

get belarc or everest and use that software to tell you what chipset you have
everest is the better

txtoem is the file xp or vista needs to see to find the driver software
if pointed to wrong place it will fail to find
there known errors in the way xp looks for soft
I don't know about vista's approach
if you are having issue with flash drive to load it may need the A drive to load
the oemtxt is txt file that can be edited to point to where the flash drive letter is that contains drivers.
easier to use floppy drive if you have problems try a new disc seems old disc's will not copy the setup files well and will not be read right by the OS on install
try searching vista loading oemtxt driver files
PS vista should now be able to load drivers from cdrom

ok lets say you formatted your laptop already and all you have is a windows xp cd and a vista cd.. but the vista does not want to load and you put in the xp cd and it says hard drive not found.. what would you say to do? it's a new gateway laptop. no floppy drive mx8711

yes ,this file must be present the website for drivers should have txt to tell how to make floppy boot disc
if you make new xp disc with these drivers added Nlite will lead you through process to make new ISO of your xp install disc.
it's that or buy floppy drive for machine load that way
I would bet they make a usb emulator to do this,at least they should
xp is written only to look for A: drive
pretty stupid if you ask me,but then I can't write C++ so what do I know

Anyone, any ideas?!?! if you think you know the problem could you email me or msn me or something could do with his getting sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back