No Icons, No Taskbar, only my wallpaper shows up

YoYo888

Ok here goes I hope someone knows whats going on and can help me sort this out.
Its a Dell Inspiron 6400 running XP Pro.
When you turn it on, Everything happens just like it always has...screen comes up saying windows is loading and it goes to my sign in screen. enter password, msg saying loading your settings, my wallpaper image loads Then the wheel falls off (so to speak). Because thats all that happens. No Icons, no taskbar, no start button.... I am able to pull up task manager [cntrl alt,del] start a new task msconfig and change to diagnostic startup and restart. And everything loads icons and all. but as you know. You are very limited in what you can do as far as using it normally.
If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I used to get that with my XP Home desktop. It's still going well although it's had a couple of replacement graphics cards. Don't worry about it. You are close to what I used to do. Open Task Manager, select User then Log off. You will be able to log in again and the desktop will open fully with all icons etc. It added just a few seconds to start up and worked every time for me. I can't remember at what point the problem went away though. Maybe it was an early sign of the graphics card wearing out but I'd not rush to replace. Hopefully my tip will work for you too..

I used to get that with my XP Home desktop. It's still going well although it's had a couple of replacement graphics cards. Don't worry about it. You are close to what I used to do. Open Task Manager, select User then Log off. You will be able to log in again and the desktop will open fully with all icons etc. It added just a few seconds to start up and worked every time for me. I can't remember at what point the problem went away though. Maybe it was an early sign of the graphics card wearing out but I'd not rush to replace. Hopefully my tip will work for you too..
Well Bazz after I posted the other night I spent about 2hours viewing all similar issues and checked my system registry files and stuff looking for issues that other ppl had suggested to other users. All to no avail.
I just got a chance to view your suggestion tried it and voila Its working again. TYVM
If all it takes is a few extra minutes to log on each time Thats nothing to deal with.
Ill call this issue fixed
TYVM

Last edited:
Good to know that it worked. I was never sure what caused the issue but if it was the graphics card you won't be able to replace that in a laptop - it's a chip soldered on the motherboard. The laptop is lasting well but it's worth thinking about a replacement. Repairing an old laptop is rarely worthwhile.

Back