No Image on monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:mad:My Freinds monitor has no image when he start his pc. Everything starts fine but no image will come up on the monitor. It started when he was playing F.E.A.R And then he could smell something burnt.

Specs
Intell pentium 4 3.00 gig
Geforce 6600gt
1gig ram

Hmm let me think....

There is only 5 things it can be, monitor , CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU. :haha:

Can you be more specific, is the computer beeping now when you/he starts it up? How does he know it's ok if he can't see anything? A good clean POST will give you 1 long beep, if that's all he gets then maybe it is just the monitor. Can he borrow a working monitor to try it?

kirock said:
There is only 5 things it can be, monitor , CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU. :haha:
5.5 things, it could be......video card too :wave:

5.5 is less than 6 and doesn't require me to use second hand to count:haha:
computers are already confussing e-nuff.

How did I forget that! Of course video card! Doh. :) And I believe SOcRatEs is correct, no video signal. But can you answer this, Does he think the PC is actually booting into windows? If his video card is dead then he would get a combination of beeps from the BIOS on POST, i.e. the BIOS would "know" the video card is dead.

So I'm thinking ( yes my head hurts) it could just be the PSU, I've managed to kill 2 in the last 2 years. The last one actually went right during HL2 and made this sound, "Vveeeeeshshshshsh" (pronounced: Vveeeesshshshshsh), and then some smoke out the back of it. :p

Please have him confirm the POST sequence.

Cheers,

Well yes, but let's find out if it really is the video card first. A GeF 6600GT is not cheap and really shouldn't have burned out unless the fan failed.
Find out if the PC is making any beeping noises or any lights come on at all now. It's much much cheaper to replace the PSU then the video card!

My guess, is if the computer turns on, but the monitor says no input signal, most likely the video card. Might also want to make sure that the power supply cords are plugged in. Also try reseating (Pull the card out, and put it back in), usually fixes it some times.

It's starting to narrow down to two things psu and video.
I always go with the cheaper to replace part first.
PSU in this case. What power rating is your psu, anything1?

G'Luck
We'll stick it out with you! Hoping for the best.

kirock: not my tongue

I was thinking that if there was a burnt smell, careful inspection of the parts and ALL their connectors might reveal the problem area. Look for obvious evidence of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back