No imported Avatars now?

Maurice

As I can see it, there is now no provision to import Avatars, is this a hiccup, or a decision made when the new look was introduced?
Reading between the lines of previous posts on this matter, quite a few members prize their unique importations.

Maurice

Please post in the appropiate forum, not everything goes in The meeting spot.
Going to look into this now.

Julio said:
Please post in the appropiate forum, not everything goes in The meeting spot.
Going to look into this now.
Sorry about that, I did delete that post, giving the explanation that it it was in the wrong thread, but there must have been a glitch, as, when I went back, the post was still there & for some reason I couldn't delete that one, I can only think that it was duplicated somehow.

Can I just say that we are all pleased, I'm sure, that you've fixed the imported Avatars problem, thanks, there'll be one member who will be delighted to get his glass of Guinness back! Oops....urr, that might give a tiny clue!
Hope you & your team, Julio, are getting some early nights now.

Maurice :bounce:

Imported Avatar Size??

After Julio et al. just fixed the imported avatar issue... a quick question, if I may:

I recall the old size being 70x70 or a little larger. Definately not 50x50. I've tried to upload an avatar before (in the past I was too large too- but filesize issues then). Now, I found one that fit in the old limits, but not in the new!!

Are there any plans to move the limits back? Or must I re-search?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all of the extra work over the past several days.

I have now limited avatars to 50x50, this was my decision given that we will be keeping the current layout with usernames and info on top of each post, that way we keep pages as reader-friendly as possible. In the new system, you can alternatively post a picture of you in the profile page, that should work on nicely.

Also I will be promoting the idea of changing all users' signatures to a maximum of 3 lines on a small font, the purpose would be the same. What do you think?
To me it makes a lot of sense given that signatures do get repetitive anyway and the idea will always be of making a more readable page.

Good idea to limit the signature space. Perhaps a hint to people to put their PC-specs in their profile rather than in the signature area?

For those needing to make their avatars (and other pictures) smaller, there is a terrific utility, called "A Smaller Image". There is a free version (2.0 SE) available here:
http://www.trivista.com/ChannelPartners/
Digital photos from scanners, digital cameras, and Picture CDs are too big for emailing or publishing on the Web. With the intuitive, visual, one-screen interface of ASI 2.0 SE reducing digital photos is a snap. Select the output size and pick just the right part of a picture to keep. Simplicity and convenience are the keys. No scrolling. No multiple windows.
There is also a more advanced version (3.1) available for only $15.00, a must-have for web-designing.

If you are interested, my new avatar measures 27x50 and is only 1.1Kb

I like the idea of limited signatures, most people were following that suggestion when it was made several months ago. But some people have not.

Goalie...
Can't you just resize the avatar with PS or somthing? Or is it a gif, that would be a little harder.

Signatures...
If there is some way you can limit that behind the scenes with VB that would be great, because as SNGX said we tried this a while ago and not much came of it. Just some regular posters and senior members actually shortened them.

To everyone concerned... yes, it of course was a ani-gif, making it a severe PITA resize. Figures. I'll give up again, go in a new search of an avatar. However, I believe you should have to suffer Didou's wrath in my place, as this time it's NOT MY FAULT!!! that I am avatarless.

I like the idea of limiting signatures. The only "large" sigs I can think of contained system stats which can be contained in the profiles anyway. The main thing to assist with that would be sure there are no images in the sigs, that seems to be the easiest part to me. Or maybe allow images that fit certain size constraints. How hypocritical I suggest that in my current situation...

On a side note, one would think there an easy way to resize animated gifs. *sigh*

Well, you could with a gif editor I'd assume. You'd just have to go in and resize every fram of the gif itself.....but once again that really isn't an 'easy' way.

All of the sudden, I feel lucky that I had uploaded my 70x70 avatar before the switch to vB3.:p

Didou said:
All of the sudden, I feel lucky that I had uploaded my 70x70 avatar before the switch to vB3.:p

Yanno, the fact that Skull is doing his "innocent" whistle doesn't make this post any less patronizing. Once again, you're guilty and you know it!! :knock:

Poert- yeah, editing every frame.. which of course gets to be a pain. I'll just go and find a new avatar. If the Cards win game 6 (which they d@#n well better) I'll just steal your avatar and convince our fellow Missourians to do the same.

Goalie said:
If the Cards win game 6 (which they d@#n well better) I'll just steal your avatar and convince our fellow Missourians to do the same.

If the Cards don't win game 6 I'm going to lynch myself, so you can just have my nick and pass :)

Back