No install of Ethernet Controller...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell that recently died of a rather nasty virus. Threw in a Windows XP recovery disk and reinstalled windows. Windows starts and runs great, but the resolution is so bad that nothing fits on the screen, its all jumbo sized, and I can't get online to get new drivers because its saying my ethernet contoller is not installed. Any ideas? Sorry if this is low tech stuff for you guys, but I am still learning. I think I need a drivers cd to complete installation, alas, I dont have it. Should I be downloading a driver somewhere that I can install off of a USB drive??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Logan

did you try resetting the Screen Resolution?
control Pannel->(appearance & themes)->Display->settings

yes...

there are a few different like 600 x 800 (ex.), I think there are 7 different sizes. I can set them to the right size, but then all the color on the monitor is exteremely grainy and poor. Blotchy really. Anyway, when I go to look at the setup of the monitor, it wont let me. Almost as if there is no driver or alternate option that I could use. Also, the slider that is in control panel\display\settings wont move to the right at all. And, on some of the other resolutions, it goes to 8-bit.

Thanks for the reply!

:)

Logan

yep, you need the correct driver and DL to a USB Flash would enable you to fetch
on one system and install on another.

So where can I get it??

I found a few on the dell website, hoping those work. Any ideas on the graphics issues?? Is there a driver or something that controls display?? Something I can update?

Thanks for your help!

Logan

you wil need the graphics driver (id your card or onboard chipset)
and you may need the monitor driver.
Ya dell has it all
you may find a better driver lets say you have a nvidia chip
go to there website, ATI chipset and so on
do search like this
dell(what the Motherboard or model is)graphics chipset
to make all this a little easyer i forgot you don't have the nic drivers. find out what the driver chipset is 3com ,realtek,intel
have you ever manually loaded software drivers?
go to add new hardware select manualy
should get a screen that you can pick what type of hardware you are installing ,find the network and click and very slowly follow directions to find drivers
on xp disc and do a search for something that matchs
under hardware manager it may even tell you what chipset it is ( do this so quickly now I blow over some of the fine points)

Dont think so

Manually loaded drivers....as in updating them? Or manually putting them in place? Probably safe to assume no. So ok, I will do all of this, but how do I find out what the graphics card is? Its all stock except some RAM I put in it. Should be a dell card??? Im not finding anything at dell in regards to monitor drivers. But Once I can access the web I will take care of all that. My main concern is getting online so I can do all this stuff from home, regardless of how long it takes. But I am going to print this page and go home and give it my best shot. Thank you very much!!

P.S Whats a chipset? Does that refer to my CPU Model?? Or do you mean Intel chips Vs. Athalon chips. Sorry if I sound retarded. I know what most everything is, just not the lingo. Yet.

Logan

I don't know why dell keeps this stuff hidden
guess they want you to pay for tech service to

try manually loading network drivers
or ethernet controller software
click
start ,settings,control panel,system,hardware
device manager,look for network adapters,expand
should be a yellow ? mark for this adapter ::note type of adapter::
click on adapter and open driver tab try install new drivers or update have your xp disc ready.
will be prompted to let windows search or do you have disc
try have disc and point to cdrom
you may need to browse the cd.
file extension should be .inf
pretty common adapters they should be on the xp disc
don't know why they failed to load especially if you have the original xp that came with the dell.dell used to use there own xp label disc I have one floating around here somewhere.if you still got problems let us know I can dig up disc and upload drivers and give you the link

chipset is a name given to processor that contrls functions for that piece of hardware .
graphics chip ,sound card.network chip sometimes called DSP
after you get yourself fixed up if interested start new topic lots of great people here will help you out

Thank You!!

I got it all under control now! I did not have the original XP disk, just a restore disk. Anyway, long story short, went to the old failsafe.."google"...and started looking at common Ethernet controllers and NICs for a Dim 2350. That got me pointed in the right direction as far as what card I had, then found drivers at Dell...the rest is history. Graphics are working normally, ethernet functioning, only 1 yellow balloon in the device manager. USB controller. Havent been able to find alot on this one yet, but I havent had time either.( Trying to use a 40G FireLite w/ USB). Anyway, I did the Intel Chipset Driver prog and that made the Firelite reach normal transfer speeds again, but device manager still says USB CONTROLLER. Not sure if I should even mess with it at this point, seems to be working.

THANK YOU very much to all who helped me on this!! I appreciate it very much and learned alot! THANK YOU!!

Logan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back