No internet connection

Every time I try to connect to the internet, I get a message saying can't find iertutil.dll try re-installing iertutil.dll this may fix the problem , can anyone help. fishbird

First off what Os are you running? This is dll is a run time utlity for IE. You are most likely going to have to run a repair on windows or you can also try using a system restore. From a time when everything was working fine.

Thanks Cobalt006, The OS is windows xp its an old laptop and for some reason there
has no restore points on it. What I need to know is how to run a repair on windows
not having internet connection

Have you tried another browser such as chrome or Firefox to see if it's an IE issue you are having? Also try reinstalling IE8 over itself to repair. And you mentioned you had no restore points if restore points are disabled that makes sense, but that can also be a sign of malware that corrupted your os. I would run malware bytes to see if it finds anything.

Have you tried another browser such as chrome or Firefox to see if it's an IE issue you are having? Also try reinstalling IE8 over itself to repair. And you mentioned you had no restore points if restore points are disabled that makes sense, but that can also be a sign of malware that corrupted your os. I would run malware bytes to see if it finds anything.

Thanks verneronomous, sounds good but I don't know how to do that with no web connection. I am on wi-fi connection with this laptop, is there a way I can use this laptop to connect to the old laptop to do what you suggest.

Are you able to go to a friends house and a flash drive I'll send you all the software you will need. I'll send you ie8 an xp ISO and virus software via email.

Hey fishbird. Not discounting anyone's suggestions here, but this is what I would do as I've seen this type of situation many times over. You can do wonders if your system came with an XP disk,or if your system has a Recovery partition that can restore your system back to the state it was when new. If the OS was never reinstalled, and as you say, the disk drive is almost filled up, I would save any important documents,files,pics,etc to an external drive or a big enough flashdrive for your data, and reinstall the OS to get rid of all the junk , especially on any system older than 4 years as the junk will pile up, especially on a system that doesn't receive regular maintenance. After all is done and a good, updated Anti-Virus is installed, do a full scan on any data saved before you put it back on your system.

TheHawk, Thank you. I am new to all this technology and I will try to explain my situation more clearly, I work from this laptop OS vista and also have another monitor connected to it . I am on wi-fi, The older laptop with the problems I have been trying to connect this to my wi-fi when I try to connect the signal is strong but I get a message saying out of range. As for all the other problems you have addressed I will implement , thank you again

Ok gathering care package now. I will get it to your e-mail within the hour. It will be a link to my google share software. You wills see it shortly.

As you said earlier you had a full hard drive so you will have to make some space so anything you can clean up by deleting or backing up would be useful at this point.

Ok gathering care package now. I will get it to your e-mail within the hour. It will be a link to my google share software. You wills see it shortly.

As you said earlier you had a full hard drive so you will have to make some space so anything you can clean up by deleting or backing up would be useful at this point.

thanks again

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Could you tell us the size of your hard drive and also how much RAM your system has (right click on My Computer and select Properties). It's best to have at least 1GB OF RAM to run XP decent. You will need to download the drivers for your pc from the manufacturer if you do a clean reinstall (clean meaning formatting the drive first which I recommend). Most manufacturers make it relatively easy to get the drivers you need for your system. The service packs (SP3 was the last for XP) are also easy if you use the self executing SP3 file from the Microsoft site instead of the longer slower update method. As for your Anti-Virus, I myself would use a light weight one like Microsoft Security Essentials as older systems can really get bogged down if you install one of the big Internet Security Suites like Norton or McAfee.

Hi TheHawk, I have tried everything that everyone has suggested but the problem seems to be that the harddrive is full of junk,I have removed all the photos, files,and programs I can but the drive is still as full as a wind blowen kite

Back