No Lan Access when connected to VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
When working from home, I'm connected to the company network using a VPN connection. This works great, but I am unable to connect to my local network at home (printers etc.). This is of course one of the things that VPN is supposed to do - but it's really annoying.

I use a Cisco VPN client v. 4.x (on WinXP) which actually has an "Allow lan access" check box. Unfortunately this has to be approved on the server as well and our system administrator is paranoid, so this is not an option.

Is there a way to solve this issue?

Some people suggested using NetBeui, but it seems kind of a old-school solution (and I have no idea how to make it work). I was hoping that a VPN client “wrapper” existed?

99.9% of my use of VPN is connecting to an Exchange server and only 0.1% using the network drives. If this makes the issue easier I would be satisfied if the suggested solution only included Exchange server access.

If it helps I have 2 network cards, this might be a way to connect to two networks at the same time?

As a last resort I can always install a Virtual PC with WINXP + Outlook and make the VPN connection from here :slurp:

Thanks for the help.

i think your "paranoid" systems admin will have the last say on this matter...he will have to configure the router( probably a cisco PIX) to allow access for the ip address's for the pc's in your home network and they will have to be in the same address range as the pc your connecting to your work network with.....this basically envolves creating a subnet with your home network and using your work/home pc as a gateway..

..i know personally I wouldn't allow PC's I hadnt virus checked and updated on to my Domain..

How many IP addresses does your ISP provide you? I know some cable companies give you 2.

You might be able to use one of your network cards to connect to your lan network and the second to connect just to the highspeed. You might need to get another hub or switch though.

I haven't used the Cisco VPN client, so I don't really know its ins and outs though.

I only have one static IP address provided by my ISP. I have an extra router which I might be able to simulate two IP addresses, at least seen from the network cards perspective.

Any Ideas how to that?

The Cisco VPN client has created its own LAN connection in my network settings. It seems that it takes control of everything the second I logon to the VPN. I tried to add my home network gateway+DNS the VPN LAN connection but everything is restored when I logged off (and it didn't work either).

Appreciate your help guys.

The cisco client creates a tunnel so you wont be able to use any other network connection..as i said earlier your home network would have to be set up as a subnett of you work network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back