No longer get login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without having changed anything I know of, I no longer have to log in to use my computer. There is no login screen any more. I use Windows XP but this function might have been a McAfee product; I'm not sure. How do I get it back?

Not quite sure what you mean...
You are able to start up, but no longer get the login screen where you click on the icon of a user?
Please give a bit more detail. Computer brand and age, description of what does or does not happen.

I have a Dell XPS 400 with Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition, purchased December 2005. Since I first used the computer, after boot-up there was a login screen for "Administrator." I believe there was also a "Guest" option. Suddenly there is no login screen at all, and I would like to get it back. I need to change the password to prevent some potential unauthorized use, but there is no login process any more. I think the login screen may have carried the McAfee logo, not Windows, but I'm not sure. Now, after boot-up, it is just ready to go.

Go to Start -> My Computer -> System Tasks -> User Accounts -> Pick a Task -> Change an Account or Create an Account.
You should see the Guest Account greyed out. Right click twice, and you will get the option to turn Guest Account on.
Otherwise, your options to create an account or change an account will allow you to do what you wish.
Depending on your settings, the options you wish to use are turned off when they go unused for a period of time.

It wasn't set up quite like that but close enough for me to get there. I now have a login screen for Windows. Thanks. This is not the same login screen I had before that has disappeared (which must have after all been a McAfee product) but this will do the trick just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back