No Man's Sky gets massive day-one patch as servers are wiped; PC version delayed

midian182

Staff member

After four years of development and numerous setbacks, No Man’s Sky is finally arriving this week. But even as the release date quickly approaches, there are still major changes being made to the space exploration title.

Over the last few days we’ve learned that the PC version has been put back, the servers are being wiped, and there will be a day-one patch so big that it’s almost an entire overhaul of the game.

No Man’s Sky was set to release simultaneously on PlayStation 4 and PC in North America tomorrow (August 9), but Hello Games founder Sean Murray confirmed on Friday that the PC version would instead be released globally on August 12. “It’s so important we get it right and make the best version we can,” he said on Twitter.

Murray believes a global release will be the best option for PC players, rather than the game arriving in different locations on different dates. "We think a global release is best for everyone on PC. Retail forces us to be staggered on PS4," he explained.

No Man’s Sky was originally due to be released on June 21, but Murray said some “key moments needed extra polish,” resulting in it being delayed until early August. The news angered some people to the point where they inundated Murray and Kotaku reporter Jason Schreier with death threats.

Despite the game not yet being available, some fans have managed to get their hands on it - thanks to certain retailers selling the game earlier than they should and a few copies appearing on eBay.

As Hello Games wants No Man's Sky to arrive in an unexplored state for everyone, the developer wiped the servers on Sunday, meaning those who accessed the game early won’t see their discoveries in the official release version. Programer Harry Denholm posted on Twitter that save games would not be affected, “just discovery online storage.”

Like many new games, No Man’s Sky is getting a day-one patch. While the exact size of it hasn’t been revealed, we know it makes substantial changes to the game. You can see the full list of everything contained in the patch here.

The update alters almost every aspect of No Man’s Sky, the biggest change being the introduction of three “paths” to follow through the game. These will impact what you see later, depending on your early choices.

Combat, trading, discovering other players, the universe as a whole, the writing, inventory size, pretty much everything has been altered. It’s why Hello Games held back review copies until today – the studio wants media outlets to play the fully patched version of the game.

Murray says Hello Games already has plans for future updates. The next one will add “giant space freighters” and graphical improvements such as temporal anti-aliasing and cloud rendering.

Permalink to story.

Hhhm... this smells very fishy.
If you've seen any gameplay vids that people have posted (or streamed), you'll quickly realise that it is just an empty shell compared to what we were promised in the trailers and subsequent dev updates.

To me, it seems that right now they are just trying to cover their asses as much as they can before the game becomes available to the masses.

Don't take me wrong, I would love this game to deliver what was promised, but so far it seems to be just an overpriced and dumbed-down adventure-exploration game.

Don't take me wrong, I would love this game to deliver what was promised, but so far it seems to be just an overpriced and dumbed-down adventure-exploration game.

People have said the same of Elite Dangerous based on videos and streams. In practice, however, it works quite well. NMS may be in a similar boat.

People have said the same of Elite Dangerous based on videos and streams. In practice, however, it works quite well. NMS may be in a similar boat.

But... Elite Dangerous IS an empty shell. NMS will have to do much better than that.

If you've seen any gameplay vids that people have posted (or streamed), you'll quickly realise that it is just an empty shell compared to what we were promised in the trailers and subsequent dev updates.

I'm not sure what stream(s) you've watched or post(s) you've read, but the game looks like everything they promised (and some they never mentioned - like feeding animals). Planetary, system, and galactic exploration where you can do almost anything you want to. What did they promise or show at any other point during demos that makes you think otherwise?

I've seen everything that was demoed/mentioned in interviews - upgrades, aliens, languages, artifacts, mining, digging, oceans, caves, space, piracy, freighters, sentinels, deadly environments, deadly flora, deadly fauna, space ships, trading, and size.

To me, it seems that right now they are just trying to cover their asses as much as they can before the game becomes available to the masses.

it pretty much offers everything they promised and even more. it might just not be your cup of tea.

But... Elite Dangerous IS an empty shell. NMS will have to do much better than that.

Disagree. It does exactly what a space sim is supposed to do: simulate space.

SSDD - Lots of promises, very few results .......

[Mandatory Star Citizen bash here]

Ok it does in fact, simulate space very well... by being vast, empty, and (mostly) devoid of any life.
Something I hope NMS fills-in a little more creatively.
Sorry, I hate to bash Elite, but it was a big disappointment for me. It looks pretty though. :)

I'm not sure what stream(s) you've watched or post(s) you've read, but the game looks like everything they promised (and some they never mentioned - like feeding animals). Planetary, system, and galactic exploration where you can do almost anything you want to. What did they promise or show at any other point during demos that makes you think otherwise?
Almost anything? well let's see... you can travel to an infinity of procedural systems, which you mine for whatever resources you need, that you then trade at a generic space station (and by generic I mean that all space stations have the EXACT same station layout) for other resources or tech... rinse and repeat, with no objective.

I'll now try to touch on all of the things you mentioned (which were, I admit, very nicely presented under IGN First and looked great):
- upgrades: they are very basic, based on "needs resource XYZ"

- aliens/languages/artifacts: all they provide is access to tech or give you a certain more rare resource that you would otherwise need to trade for; language is just a barrier for accessing them and requires you to find hidden tablets (artifacts); you don't really even need them, they are just filler, which is a shame

- mining: you shoot a laser thing from your ship that blows up things in space (larger asteroid chunks or crystal-like objects); on the ground, same idea

- digging: does not really give you anything in return, unless you dig your way to a cave, the entrance of which should be nearby anyway... so not much point to dig as you don't get anything this way

- oceans: YES... looked awesome in the trailers... not in the game... they feel lifeless, empty or just boring

- caves: I will admit, these are cool in the game as well, though NOWHERE near the level of detail shown in the trailers

- space: nothing like in the trailers... it's either some bland asteroids, some crystal-like things or a generic space station used for trading; some cool views though, but that's it; no lifeforms in space either, except for generic NPCs moving about trading stuff

- piracy: you just shoot traders, which drop loot, which you then pick up and subsequently sell... no consequence at all; you don't lose much if you die; you respawn at the last station

- freighters: only relevant if you want to pirate; you can only own one ship, not a fleet

- sentinels: which magically show up out of nowhere to shoot you as soon as you start shooting at wildlife that is trying to kill you

- deadly environments: you just need to build an environmental suit and you're good to go until it breaks down which you can immediately rebuild from some basic things

- deadly flora/fauna: as to be expected in a survival game; nothing really special here and if you stay away from the beasties, they won't come to you; they do look cool though

- space ships: yes, they look cool, but either than getting you from A to B and be able to haul X amount of stuff, that's it; you can upgrade them, but you can't build your own

- trading: probably the worst thing in this game... you literally just go to the same generic space station in all the systems to trade with a console

- size: if you've never seen a game of this type... yes, you will be super impressed... but if you have... then it's actually pretty weak; planets are small, getting in and out of their atmosphere is trivialised and space travel between systems is just a well-hidden loading screen

To reiterate what I meant by an empty shell: it all seems like a fake and lifeless universe, with some very basic & repetitive gameplay elements strapped on.
I would love to post some links to footage, but they do a good job of deleting everything that's being posted... unless it's run under a controlled environment ofc.

I think this is awesome. Hello Games pretty much fixed all the problems that people saw in those early releases.

ED delivered everything it promised in its initial release in the format people expected it and they were also very open to people about it.

NMS seems to be hiding under a well-crafted cloak so far, which is never a good idea and withholding review copies until release day given the leaks... not any better.

Almost anything? well let's see... you can travel to an infinity of procedural systems, which you mine for whatever resources you need, that you then trade at a generic space station (and by generic I mean that all space stations have the EXACT same station layout) for other resources or tech... rinse and repeat, with no objective.

I'll now try to touch on all of the things you mentioned (which were, I admit, very nicely presented under IGN First and looked great):

- aliens/languages/artifacts: all they provide is access to tech or give you a certain more rare resource that you would otherwise need to trade for; language is just a barrier for accessing them and requires you to find hidden tablets (artifacts); you don't really even need them, they are just filler, which is a shame

- mining: you shoot a laser thing from your ship that blows up things in space (larger asteroid chunks or crystal-like objects); on the ground, same idea

- digging: does not really give you anything in return, unless you dig your way to a cave, the entrance of which should be nearby anyway... so not much point to dig as you don't get anything this way

- oceans: YES... looked awesome in the trailers... not in the game... they feel lifeless, empty or just boring

- caves: I will admit, these are cool in the game as well, though NOWHERE near the level of detail shown in the trailers

- space: nothing like in the trailers... it's either some bland asteroids, some crystal-like things or a generic space station used for trading; some cool views though, but that's it; no lifeforms in space either, except for generic NPCs moving about trading stuff

- piracy: you just shoot traders, which drop loot, which you then pick up and subsequently sell... no consequence at all; you don't lose much if you die; you respawn at the last station

- freighters: only relevant if you want to pirate; you can only own one ship, not a fleet

- sentinels: which magically show up out of nowhere to shoot you as soon as you start shooting at wildlife that is trying to kill you

- deadly environments: you just need to build an environmental suit and you're good to go until it breaks down which you can immediately rebuild from some basic things

- deadly flora/fauna: as to be expected in a survival game; nothing really special here and if you stay away from the beasties, they won't come to you; they do look cool though

- space ships: yes, they look cool, but either than getting you from A to B and be able to haul X amount of stuff, that's it; you can upgrade them, but you can't build your own

- trading: probably the worst thing in this game... you literally just go to the same generic space station in all the systems to trade with a console

- size: if you've never seen a game of this type... yes, you will be super impressed... but if you have... then it's actually pretty weak; planets are small, getting in and out of their atmosphere is trivialised and space travel between systems is just a well-hidden loading screen

To reiterate what I meant by an empty shell: it all seems like a fake and lifeless universe, with some very basic & repetitive gameplay elements strapped on.
I would love to post some links to footage, but they do a good job of deleting everything that's being posted... unless it's run under a controlled environment ofc.
Drama alert!

So do you like gaming at all? I mean, based on your complaints here it sounds like you don't. Seriously, 99.9% of games boil down to the following.

-Find A
-Search/Talk/Help/Kill A
-Receive B
-Use B to trade/buy/upgrade for C
-Use C to get past artificial blocks before you had C
-Find D (which might as well be A)
-Search/Talk/Help/Kill D (deja vu A)
-Receive E (and some B)
-Use E to trade/buy/upgrade for F
-Use F to get past artificial blocks before you had F
-Rinse and repeat until the credit roll or you are bored

This article is a bit late to the party. This information was released days ago. When I first read the headline, I thought it was delayed even further out then August 12th.

Drama alert!

So do you like gaming at all? I mean, based on your complaints here it sounds like you don't. Seriously, 99.9% of games boil down to the following.

-Find A
-Search/Talk/Help/Kill A
-Receive B
-Use B to trade/buy/upgrade for C
-Use C to get past artificial blocks before you had C
-Find D (which might as well be A)
-Search/Talk/Help/Kill D (deja vu A)
-Receive E (and some B)
-Use E to trade/buy/upgrade for F
-Use F to get past artificial blocks before you had F
-Rinse and repeat until the credit roll or you are bored
uhm except witcher 3. I guess its the .01%

So it has everything they promised then? It's just not the type of game you like to play (and based on your comments, not hardcore enough) - and that's fine - but don't say it's not what the developer said it was.

Personally, I look forward to just roaming the galaxy find new stuff and playing a laid-back game - a game for games sake :)

Oi, Techspot - No!
By 'delayed' I think you meant 'released when they last said it would be 3 days ago' but do please let us know if it is delayed

So it has everything they promised then? It's just not the type of game you like to play (and based on your comments, not hardcore enough) - and that's fine - but don't say it's not what the developer said it was.

Personally, I look forward to just roaming the galaxy find new stuff and playing a laid-back game - a game for games sake :)
I don't want to argue any further on this, if you will enjoy this game in its current state then I'm happy for you.

Proper reviews are now starting to pop up btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLNKkjzoWQ

There's so much content (article + comments) to read through here for as little as I really care... but why is this game getting so much coverage?! lol

Edit: NVM I really dont want an answer or reply to that.

Back