No More OEM Versions of XP In Jan 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft pulling OEM Windows XP next January
Posted Apr 12th 2007 12:25PM by Paul Miller
Filed under: Desktops, Laptops

Like it or not, if you buy a Windows PC in 2008, it's almost certain to be running Windows Vista. Next January is Microsoft's contractual deadline with PC builders for selling the OEM version of Windows XP, meaning computer manufacturers will be forced to stick customers with a copy of Windows Vista, despite the continued driver problems and beefy system requirements. Hopefully Microsoft is able to prep a service pack or two before that time comes, but it's hard to imagine all the kinks being ironed out before then. We're sure you'll be able to nab a retail copy of XP through standard or slightly-shady channels, so it's not like you'll never see that frumpy "Luna" theme ever again, but we still won't be surprised at an '08 backlash if Microsoft makes good on its promises.

Hmm, at least that will get the computer market to actually raise their video card and memory standards while keeping low prices :grinthumb !

Friend of mine started shopping for a basic new PC this week. He wants Win XP OS, for its stability. Called around to different stores and they only have machines with Vista available. On-line you can still get either XP or Vista.

Tedster said:
not surprising..... Vista has proven to be a big disapointment. Perhaps as big as ME.

Absolutely. Poor M$, they can't get people to buy their bug ridden OS and instead of fixing the issues they decide to punish the consumer. Oh, wait, nothing has changed...

Come on

Atleast give it a chance, yes, at the moment XP is far better as far as stability and compatability goes however it is a 5 year old OS. It has hit its peak. 5 years ago when XP came out people said the same thing and it was true XP was buggy, people chose to stay with Windows 2000 for atleast the first year or 2.

You also have to take into concideration that Windows 2000 to the XP transition was not exactly a major change. In all
XP was 2000 with a bunch of added features. Vista is something totally differnt and was basically build from the ground up.

However in my opinion Vista really does need a lot of work. It was rushed to production instead of MS taking the time to do it right the first time and really shows. Many of the option and features are confusing to the average person. The driver suppor sucks, more than likley due to MS not giving 3rd party hardware manufactures propor code or enough time to work with it.

Can Vista be a good OS ? I really think it can if a lot of issues are addressed. However I beleive it is going to take tons and tons of service packs to fix or a rather large one, however it isnt in MS best interests to make people wait over a year for a service pack that will cover every bug, they need to get somthing out ASAP to atleast show consumers they are interested in making this work as the worlds future everyday OS.

I do want to give it a chance but not right now. And as you rightly point out, and I am in full agreement, it will take two years to get the kinks out. But M$, unlike with the transition between 2000 and XP, isn't giving anyone a chance to wait for the much needed improvements and fixes. People will be forced to purchase a defective product which proprietory of the highest magnitude.

We need at least SP1.

You know, this is very unfortunate. I think ppl should have a choice on products as long as they are paying for it. I mean, it isn't free!! man Microsoft, you are allowing Vista to completely take over way too soon!!

You are acting like xp will not be available. It will be, just simply not in the oem form. And, by 2008, i would say 90% of p.c's for sale will have vista on them anyway..not a big deal.

Vista developed for 6 years before the non-oem launch....and 5 years for the oem lauch....for God's Sake, it's not bad. The only issue I have run into it was forceware drivers for nVidia.

I dont see whats all that bad with Widnows Vista either, I have it on 2 of my systems, one with Basic the other with Premium. I feel they packed a ton of security into it, if you even go to install a new program, the screen dims and asks you for protection. Its really great, I dont notice that many issues with it.

You can turn the stupid security check off as well....I couldn't stand it :D !

Just on a note here, I'm using windows vista too, security I must say is great, the look is too. I also noticed, XP is actually less stable with 720mb ram than vista is on my system, it definately shows a large improvement as far as system stability goes if you have the correct hardware. One large problem however is the permissions with the registry, i had to change registry permission to allow a program to install. It didnt work, but infact deleted every file extention registry key :S, but else should be expectedd when mucking around in such a sensitive area of an operating system.
cheers
hynesy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back