No names in processes tab?

1. Hi. My windows task manager doesnt show any 'User Names' in the processes tab?
    Everything else appears fine? Could this be a virus?

Im running windows XP Professional SP3
  2. Doctor John

Doctor John TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

Sorry, I don't fully understand, do you mean the "Users" tab? I don't see why you would have User Names in the "processes" tab? If you mean the "Users" tab, check if Terminal Services is started (via Computer Management or "Run" -> services.msc), if not, set it to Manual and start it.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

Do mean the User Name column isn't under Processes? Or is the column there but all user names are blank?

If the former, click View->Select Columns and make sure User Name is checked
  4. megabomination

megabomination TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 155

Yes lookinaround. The user name colum is there but it is all blank! User name is box is checked also!?
  5. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

I (almost!) agree with Doctor John above, sounds like terminal services not running, but shoutdn't it read manually start service but set to Automatic, sorry Doctor John if not, mind reading not good :)
    Doctor John likes this.
  6. Doctor John

Doctor John TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

That's precisely what I meant! You can read my mind better than I do! :confused:
    Zoltan Head likes this.
  7. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

LOL no problem, Doc, you want to know your opinion on things, give me a call ;-)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.