No networking in safe mode. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzmnky

I was messing around with my computer and noticed that it won't connect (it's hooked up to the network on my college campus) while in safe mode. On a regular start up it's fine, but when I go into safe mode my network card says I'm connected but when I open a browser it says that it can't find the server. (And I do boot up into the 'safe mode with networking' option.)
I tried the repair button but it doesn't work, so now I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm running xp. Thanks!

You have to start with "safe mode with networking". Can't remember what Windows versions had that option..

Hey Guys, sorry for not checking back sooner, dang you guys reply fast!
To answer Greeno's question, no. I noticed because I was changing my login screen. I found a few sites that let you download replacements so you don't need to always see the original Window version. I was told to boot into safe mode and noticed an option that allowed me to stay hooked up to the internet. Needless to say, I choose that one and found that I wasn't able to get online.
So no, it's not imperative that I it works, I just have no idea why it doesn't. I'm just wondering if it's a virus, or that I must have deleted some important file, or if it's something more simple like just needing to check some box in a random option menu.
In 'normal mode' , my internet works perfectly. I have virus protection, firewalls, etc. And I doubt I deleted this mystery file (though I wouldn't put it past me).
It's just strange and I have no idea why it wouldn't work. You would think in 'safe mode with networking' that it would load all the appropriate drivers. I hope that clears some stuff up. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks guys.

Safe Mode means just that. Windows installs a minimal set of drivers and services, uses basic VGA and only supports keyboard, mouse, monitor and local storage.
Safe Mode with Networking means Windows also installs the network but does not install PC Card support.
Depending on your PC-setup internet may or may not work, local network should work, so you could install stuff from e.g. a server.

It depends on how your internet connection is set up as realblackstuff said.

It may be just as simple as that you manually create the connection instead of IE doing it automatically at startup.

I imagine services like Auto DHCP other "luxury" settings do not work in safe mode.
Although I've never tried it, you should be able to manually configure your IP address, subnet, dns etc.. and be able to get online.

I tried to manually configure, but my network grants you these on like an hourly bases, which your computer automatically renews. Problem is that it won't initiate contact to get permission. and since the dns and such change, I wouldn't know what to enter for them. I've been trying to reach my school's network support guy but he seems to be always out of the office. And the young guys that fill in for him don't know a thing. But I'll keep trying to reach him and mess around my network configurations. Thanks.

I'm still wondering, even if you change the login screen (which is fun to confoozle people) why boot into safe mode...

If it works normally, use it! If it doesn't work in Safe Mode that's OK since it works in normal mode.

The problem I have is that if I ever get a virus on my computer and I need Safe mode w/ Net to download the new Windows patch or search google on how to get ride of it, I won't be able to. I mean, I know I don't need safe mode to regularly surf the web, but I want it to work if I ever truely need it. Isn't that what's it there for? I would just hate to ignore the problem and later kick myself when my computer one day freaks out on me.
I got a hold of the Tech Support guy and he says that it should work so that the problem is probably on my end. But he wouldn't know why it wouldn't work. I also can't manually enter anything for my connection, it all has to stay automatic.
Does anyone have a list of what drivers should load in that option of safe mode (w/ net)? And a way I could compare to see if one is missing? That would be perfect. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back