No... not the hdd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Got a problem. Figured I would install WIN98 today (dont ask why -- changed my mind after 3 minutes anyway). When launching the install scandisc starts to perform the standard pre-install check, and when it scaned my secondary hdd it said the disc was faulty (probably beacuse it cant recognise the NTFS) and that the problem is being corrected. After this, when returning to WIN XP, my secondary hdd is marked as "unformated".

Did scandisc make my secondary hdd fat32 in an instant? Can I covert it without losing all data (it was my backup-unit, bless!) perhaps using partition magic or do I have to mourn the lost data for the rest of the week?

Gratefully,

JMT

Hey....

Sounds like the file system has changed. Have you tried booting your computer with a boot disk later than Win 95 and running a program from the command prompt called 'ChkDsk', DskChk' (Disk Check) or something like that (sorry bad memory!!), which will allow you to see Size, file system etc.

Also you can set up new file system, etc (but you probably wont resort to that yet!)

Hope this helps....

It sounds like like Scandisk was set to 'scan the surface and repair'(format in this instance) If thats the case than I doubt if you will get any data off the slave drive.I do not know enough about data recovery software to comment.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back