No output to monitor, no beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll make it simple. Nothing's appearing on my monitor. At all. I turn on the computer, nothing appears. I can hear (and see) the CPU fan, chassis fans, and power supply fans turn on.

... Nothing appears on the monitor. And the optical drives don't spin up. (My video card doesn't have a fan, it has a heatsink, I have no idea if that's getting power.)

I removed -EVERYTHING- except the power supply, motherboard, and CPU. It wouldn't even beep at me.

I know the power supply works. I know the memory works. I know the video card works. Those all came from my -old- computer (which I'm still USING, since the new one won't boot).

I even switched out the processor, and it did the same thing.

And a hard-reset doesn't fix anything.

I sent back the motherboard, they tested it, said it worked fine for them. They sent me a new board anyways. Still does the same thing.

I have no idea what's going on. Here are my specs:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
CPU: Athlon XP 2800+ (Thoroughbred)
Memory: 256 PC2700 Crucial DDR RAM
Video Card: GeForce4 MX440 64MB
Power Supply: Antec SL400
----
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD800JB

Did you check the standard items, such as: no false contact between the mobo-supports and mobo, properly connecting the small cables for speaker, reset, power etc. ? No part of the mobo even slightly bent by tightening the screws too hard?

Does your mobo have a speaking POST that can be switched on with a jumper?

Try to connect the mobo while it is lying on its anti-static wrapper, rather than inside the case.

*swears*

It was the case.

Uh... how do I make the case work? Heh.

Thanks... At least I feel a whole lot better I'm not paying $120 for a new processor or mobo.

YOU do the hard WORK(mounting the mobo), the
CASE just sits there and is pretty/ugly, working or not....

Don't know, m8. What is its ailment?

I have no idea.

If the motherboard is in the case, it does that problem I described.

If I take the motherboard OUT of the case (and put it on a antistatic bag) it works fine.

And yes, I am using the brass standoffs.

You must make a false contact somewhere between one of the studs and the mobo. If you have it out, turn it around and inspect closely around the holes if any circuit-wires are dangerously close to the mounting hole. Normally there is only a round circle which is silver-coloured from solder.

Most mobo's come with small dark-orange hard-paper/carton rings. Try using them one at the time, between stud and mobo, and keep notes of which holes you have tried. You will need a grounding from chassis to mobo somewhere, so you can't just use these rings everywhere.

If between stud and mobo does not solve it, you will have to try the ring on the screw, before you screw it through the mobo into the stud.

It is tedious work, but I'm sure you will spot it eventually.

None of that fixed it...

I did find out what the problem was.

When I was trying this I didn't bother to re-attach all of the front panel connectors, just the power switch.

It worked fine with just the power switch connected.

Added the Power LED. Worked fine.
Added the IDE LED. Worked fine.
Added the Reset Switch. Stopped working.

Upon closer examination, the wires at the switch were crossed.

So yeah, I'm currently not using a reset switch, but the computer works.

So.. yay. Heh.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back