No picture on monitors

HI all,

I'm having problems with my PC.

When I switched it on a couple of days ago, I only got video through to one of my 2 monitors. After a crash, I rebooted and got no video on either monitor, however, I left the PC running. About 4 or 5 hours later, the monitor flashed up the start screen on one monitor and I got the windows is configuring updates message. It rebooted a couple of times, and on one occasion It started displaying on both monitors. While these updates were sorting themselves out, we had a power cut. I now have no picture on either monitor.

I started the PC up again after the power cut, and I could access shared folders across the network, so the PC was working, just not displaying video. Now, I can't even access those shared folders.

Any suggestions on how I go forward from here? The obvious suspect I guess is the graphics card, but I had a similar problem with a PC a few years ago, and that turned out to be a problem with memory

Thanks
John

What I would do in your situation:

IF I have monitor working in BIOS, then try bootable RAM test, memtest86.com. Run overnight.

IF NOT, try another GPU.

Once I have a basic working system (using different GPU or one less stick of RAM, etc), MAKE BACKUP and make a recovery disk.

Then check for error reports: Device Manager and Event Viewer (google for 'how to').

Let us know how it goes for you.

Back