No POST after cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.. am new here.

After a year of using my mobo, I came into this problem with my P4s333-M
256DDR
64 Mb Geforce
P4 1.8 Ghz

As part of maintenance i clean it every other 3 months or less using a blower. I removed all parts/peripherals (including removing heatsink, cpu ,hdds, memory and vga) for cleaning then put everything back in place.. When i power it up after cleaning, it won't POST :(

This is my 3rd cleaning, and it's the first time i ever encountered this problem.Prior to this board i've cleaned 3 PCs too at the same time and the other PCs is ok.
I rechecked all the jumpers(thru manual), reinstalled the cpu and heatsink, the board powers on, power led and hdd led lights up. I checked my (suspected) PSU by swapping it on my other computer's PSU (with the 12V/4 pin connector too) . The suspected damage PSU is ok when used on the other PC. Everything seems to be fine (mobo leds lights up), fans are spinning, but can't seem to get POST. I've also tried resetting BIOS but still no POST. There are no error beeps when i remove the VGA card and memory module.

Could it be my cpu is damage or my mobo (hope not :( )?? how can it be damaged ? I need some help pls..

P.S. sorry for the long post.

Did you take out the mobo? If so, check that there are no false contacts between the small mounting posts and your mobo.
Try the CPU in another PC, looks like that might be fried or overheating (which happens instantly). Did you put the cooler on properly, using thermal paste?

not yet.. but i can confirm CPU is still functional cause it shut's down itself once installed without a cooler.. it's a p4 btw.

it has not.. i hope :(

anyways, just found out theres a bent pin of the cpu.. and was kinda loose.. can it be fix? or completely replace the cpu ( hope not :confused: )

Originally posted by z3rograv1ty
it has not.. i hope :(

anyways, just found out theres a bent pin of the cpu.. and was kinda loose.. can it be fix? or completely replace the cpu ( hope not :confused: )

uh oh... hehe that would do it! I guess you don't really have much a choice but to try straightening it and if it breaks off then you'll just have to replace it. :(

Get a small pair of tweezers and grab the pin at the base (where it connects to the cpu... ie, not the tip of it) and slowly try to straighten it back up. If you can get that done then reinstall it and see what happens. If no go, then try it on another mobo if you can... OR, if you have another P4 cpu that you can borrow from another system, then do that and try it in this system and see if the rest of it actually works.

Hope that helps.

oh boy.. damn afraid to try it and break it :|

if it breaks? does it mean dead? how about gettin it a gold plated pin and solder it back??? does it work?? by what probability??

You'll be fine. I've seen some pretty badly bent pins and they've all bent right back in place. Tweezer will work. You want to use some small and flat like a micro screw driver or butter knife to pry the pin up if it completely flattened.

I usually use needle nosed pliers to finish the job.

I'm sure people have broken pins off, but shoving another in there will probably fix it. The pressure applied by the socket clip and using the the right gauge of thick wire or pin should be enough to hold in place so that it works. Just in theory of course...

As long as it makes contact to whatever it is connected to on the inside should work fine.

If it breaks.. Sell it on eBay as-is witha broken pin and apply the cash towards buying an upgrade! hehe. I bet you can get 40 to 50 out of it easy...

I bent 4 pins on my p4 2.4 like bajan says use tweezers and hold at bottom of pin and move it slowly it worked for me hope it works for you or you will need a new cpu you will not be able to repair

Nice thing about gold pins, very bendable. Breaking usually occurs when the pin is bent many times in the same location. Causes heat and metal fatigue. If this is the first bend on the pin, you should be fine, just make minor adjustments and look, more minor adjustments, etc.

Don't know much about the shoving a pin in there... Usually a broken pin doesn't pull from base, it breaks up high. I wouldn't solder, unless it is a low temp soldering iron. "At 250 °C (482 °F), gold is dissolved quickly by molten solder."

(Quote pulled from http://www.tkb-4u.com/articles/soldering/sgons/sgons.php)

Good luck.
Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back