No POST, cannot manually shutdown with out killing the power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

About a month ago my system froze and became unresponcive. I tryed al the normal tricks to Shutdown an crashed PC and was forced in the end to switch off the power suply. When I went to turn it back on. It did not POST, it just sat there spinning fans and HDDs at me. I then tryed shuting it down by holding the power button, on the front of the case, for about 30 seconds. Nothing happened and i was again forced to switch it of at the power suply.

SPECS:
ASUS M3A32-MVP Delux
AMD Phenom 9850
Corsair XMS2-8500 2048mb 1066MHz (x2)
Radeon HD 4670 512mb GDDR3 (HIS IceQ)
Corsair HX620W Modular PSU
2 Sata HDD 280gb, 500gb
IDE DVD-ROM/Burner
D-Link DWA-510 Wireless Network Adapter

I have methodicaly gone through and removed all pieces one at a time and tryed to start the computer with each item removed. The resault was alwas the same, I had to switch off the PSU to shut down. I tryed both sticks of RAM individulay also to no resaut. The first sign of a normal boot was when I had just the PSU pluged in to the Motherboard. In that instance I could shut it down using the Power Button on the front of the Case.

I have taken the Motherboard back to ASUS to be looked at and I shiped off the CPU to be tested also. Both came back said to be working exactly as they should be. I still have to test the ram on a friends computer along with my Cards and HDDs. But I realy do not think this will prove anything except that thye are in pperficet working order.

So I guess my question is what else can I do to figure out what is wrong with my PC.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

You can assemble the computer outside the case using just the minimum hardware... Motherboard, CPU, memory, video, hard drive and CDROM. See if it POSTS in this configuration

Sorry to take my time.

I took everything out of the case and placed it in a flat laminated wood surfice (no metal) and tryed all my tests again. Same as before. Even though everything was outside the case it was still attached to the case through the front pannel wires, though the Motherboard was not actualy tuching the case it self.

As for the PSU. I have tryed 2. One oldish and one new. But both of them where lower wattages than the one I am using. I can not afford a new one nor do I know anyone with a PSU grater than 500w. I did plug my PSU in to my friends PC and it worked fine. But again he was using a lower wattage to start with.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The motherboard has to be damaged, maybe by shorting to the case at one time. Did you try reseting the CMOS? Double check all the wires to and from the motherboard for proper positioning once more

The motherboard has been back to ASUS and they had it working. So thay say it is not the Motherboard. The same with the CPU.

How do I reset the CMOS? Is that where you remove the battery? What can actualy happen if that battery dies?

Ok I read the tutorial and did the CMOS reset. Still nothing.
Dust is not the issue eather. My PC is clean and has penty of air flow around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back