No POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I was hoping someone could help me with my dilemma.

I have an Asus P5NSLI with a Pentium D + 8GB Wintec DDR2 667 Ithat I had dropped in to replace my very limited Gigabyte Mobo that came with my pc.. I had run the Asus board for about 8 months and then one day the computer had locked up while trying to boot and after a rest it would not post. I ended up trying the usual tests such as resetting the CMOS which did help for one more boot and then it would not post again. I decided to go back to the original board which I still had put away because I figured that the motherboard was fried and after hooking everything up that board would not post either! My immediate thought was that my CPU was dead. So I had ordered the Q6600 which I was already planning on upgrading to and today I decide to give another shot at the asus board since neither board posted last time. I dropped the Q6600 into the asus board with the 8GB DDR2 and, again - no post.

I am kind of running out of ideas on what it could be because I tried switching ram and that did not help, i switched video cards, and nothing. Any ideas on what it could be that would be causing the boards not to post? Any ideas welcome!

Thank you all for your help.

Make sure that if you do unplug your CPU fan, its only for long enough to confirm that is the issue. Your CPU will not last long without its fan cooling it.

Well, i tested the fan for the hell of it and it did not change anything. Considering it came with my brand new processor I didn't think this would be the problem. Is it possible that the power supply is the problem even though the light on the motherboard is on AND everything power on when i push the power button. The only thing is no post....

Yes it is possible that it's the PowerSupply, even though seemingly working
Also the CPU fan issue is more likely when users have a brand new Heatsink and fan (ie as in your case) Because the not all the power polarities on all the fans are the same (annowingly)

well, its not the fan because I took the other fan from my Pentium D and it did not change anything on the Q6600 on the asus board. I guess I am going to try to find someone with a working power supply that will let me hook up to test.

1. Are you using the CORRECT recommended RAM for the board?

2. Are you using posting without a Hard drive? Try that first.

3. Have you replace or tested the PSU with a tester tool and multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back