Radeon x1950
1024 PC3200
P4 Prescott 3.0ghz
2 Maxtor 80gig
Antec CD/RW
Generic DVD/RW
Generic dual flat screen monitors
Generic 600W PSU – 2 years old.

So my computer was working great for about two years. About, two weeks ago I decided to upgrade my graphics card and I pick up the x1950. It works fine for a few weeks… slow at times, but I figure this is just due to a driver issue.

So, I shut my comp down one night and the next day I can’t get it to boot. No POST, no beeps, no visual or anything. The fans just spin (CPU, case, video)… the CD drives light up but stay lit and the power and HD stays lit too. I thought it might be my video card, and I swapped it out for the older one… same problem. A few times my comp would come on and then power off after about 30 sec. This only lasted for a few restarts (stopped after I pulled most components out). I’ve reset the bios by jumpers, as well as removing the CMOS battery long enough to drink a beer.

I’ve removed everything from the comp except for an old Radeon 9700LE, 512 PC3200, and 1 HD.

So, there are only a few things I guess this can be, bad CPU (which I doubt), PSU, or MOBO. I’m kind of leaning toward a bad PSU since I bought the cheapest one I could find (I know I know, but I’m poor) and the fact that the new vid card requires two molex connectors. I don’t think it’s a memory issue since I have no beeps at startup and I’ve tried a 256 pc3200 as well.

Thoughts?

I think your 3 choices are probably decent assumptions, and out of those 3 the PSU is the most likely to fail. I'd say thats it, and to replace it.

If possible you could (although its a bit unethical) buy a PSU at a box store like Staples and test it out, if it doesn't work take it back, or if it works and you can find it cheaper online take it back. Or better yet borrow one from another system or a friend.

SNGX1275, I think you're right. I just need to find a friend with a spare PSU so I can test it. I hope to god it's not my mobo.

It seems like this is a pretty common problem. I notice others with similar concerns posting. Knowing my luck watch it turn out to be a bios virus or something…

Sigh, So I went and bought an Antec PSU last night and hooked it up. This is what happens....

My cpu fan would spin and then after about 30sec to 1 min the entire rig would power down. I still could not get any visuals or POST or beeps.

I think I might have to go buy a new mobo now.

Thoughts?

Have you cleared the CMOS since. The powering up for a time then powering down is a pretty common thing. I had it during my last Pentium D build and it turned out to be the PSU lol. It was an Antec even. So its possible you have bad luck.

I don't think the Antec PSU 480w I just bought is bad. And the 1st Generic PSU 600w it would just sit there and run withtout doing a post or anything. I swear I think now it maybe be the mobo. Wish I had a way to test out the CPU so I could rule it out.

No I have not cleared the Bios since getting the new PSU. Would that really matter?

Thoughts?

Well I thought it seemed to matter, but the more I think about it I think my problem at one time was the video card became unseated a bit... (no post, nothing on screen, no beeps, so check that)

I still doubt your motherboard or CPU is fried, have you checked the motherboard for any bulging or popped capacitors?

Hmm... I tried with two different vid cards... same results... Considering I tried each like 4 times I think the odds are pretty good that I seated it correctly at least once.

I noticed last night when I completely disassembled the machine that on my mobo there was a small light brown spot on part of my mobo (a silver peice not sure what it is). Now this didn't look like a burn, but it could have been a hot spot or a smuge or some writing I'm not sure which. If you look at my board...

asrock775V88_full.jpg

It is the small silver square about 1 inch below (down if standing upright) to the DDR slots.

I can't really tell from the picture, but replacing the motherboard sounds like a good idea. Did you notice any burning smell at all?

Alas, no burning smell at all... so I'm going to replace the board.

Any suggestions?

It's got to have a Pci-e and DDR 400 and socket 775?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back