No power after motherboard install

Hey how's it going. Any help would be great.
Had an older system so got a new motherboard and CPU. Installed it all and then no power when I try to switch it on. The orange modem light comes on but nothing else turns on.

New system-
Motherboard- z87-d3hp
CPU- i7-4770
Gpu- GeForce GTX 460
Ram- Kingston DDR 3
Psu- Shaw p4s6 860w.

Thank you

I also tried putting in one ram card at a time. Taking the graphic card out and using on board. Taking the motherboard out of the case to see if it was shorting out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey how's it going. Any help would be great.
Had an older system so got a new motherboard and CPU. Installed it all and then no power when I try to switch it on. The orange modem light comes on but nothing else turns on.

New system-
Motherboard- z87-d3hp
CPU- i7-4770
Gpu- GeForce GTX 460
Ram- Kingston DDR 3
Psu- Shaw p4s6 860w.

Thank you

I also tried putting in one ram card at a time. Taking the graphic card out and using on board. Taking the motherboard out of the case to see if it was shorting out.
By any chance could you post a picture of your computer as it is hooked up right now so we can see if your missing anything. Try to check if the 4pin/8pin connector on the motherboard is hooked up and check for tightness of all the Motherboard connectors to start with.

So no power period...Did you check that the power button is hooked onto the correct spot. When you say Modem light, did you mean the network adapter light?

Button is correct to the right pins. The orange light next to the Ethernet cable. When the cable is in and the power cords are also in.
I put my old motherboard back in last night and it's doing the same thing to. So I'm thinking power supply is dodgy?

Button is correct to the right pins. The orange light next to the Ethernet cable. When the cable is in and the power cords are also in.
I put my old motherboard back in last night and it's doing the same thing to. So I'm thinking power supply is dodgy?
Yea it probably is the PSU if your old board is no longer functional. It happened to me actually last night I was building a Rig for a friend and had a new 550Watt PSU. The system would turn on, but no picture was displayed and I could not turn it off short of pushing the PSU switch off.

Your PSU is probably just old, but before you throw it out I would see if you can get your hands on another PSU just to try or (I don't know if a store is near you) buy one from a local retailer and try it that way its an easier return than online in case that was not the problem.

Well it's about 2 years old, 860w and was cheap when I got it back then, so good chance. I think I have a spare laying around. I'll hook it up tonight and see how it goes

Back