No power - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Just registered in hopes that someone could help.

I came home the other day from work and my computer was shut down - everything else was on (monitor, speakers, etc). I tried to boot up my computer, and when i pressed the power button, it booted up for a second or 2 tops. I'm not even sure if anything besides my cathodes and fans turned on. I pressed the power button numerous more times with the same results.

The next day, I got a bit more aggressive and started mashing the power button and holding it in, just to see what would happen if I kept trying to turn it on. Eventually the computer powered on, and about 30 seconds later I realized the room was filling with smoke from the power supply.

I immediately unplugged it. From here, I bought a new power supply and got it in the mail yesterday.

More problems - I installed it and connected all the wires (I think), and powered it on. Everything booted up for probably about 10 seconds, and then shut down. Now, it seems as if nothing is getting any power. When I hit the power button, nothing happens. I switched the outlet thinking I might have blown the fuse in the outlet or something crazy, to no avail. I also tried using a different power cable, again to no avail.

I am led to believe that everything was connected properly because of the 10 second bootup, but I may be wrong.

Any suggestions or ideas of what could be wrong?

Thanks so much in advance.

(FYI it is a 2 or 3 year old custom build that I haven't had any problems with previously)

Hi

Your PSU is new so we know that's a worker, and they are designed to fit in the plug on the motherboard one way so you wont have got it wrong.

On the basis you had smoke coming out of the unit i would say that the Mobo is dead and will need replacing, bear in mind that unless you get an identical Mobo then you may be forced to do a reinstall of windows.

Regards

Thanks for the only reply.

Come on guys, is that def. what it is or are there more things I need to look at first to determine that?

Unplug the comp, press the start button again, open the side of the case, closely examine the mobo for scorch marks or burst/bulged capacitors.

Ididmyc600 gave you an honest and probably exact diagnosis - you can look for damage. Even if you don't see any, the fact is the mobo is probably shot.

You might go so far as to remove the cpu heatsink and see if there is any serious discoloration on the cpu itself.

sorry -

Thanks for verifying CCT. Yeah, I did examine the entire MoBo (even under the heatsink) and didn't see any burn marks, none of the capacitors looked strange either.

I appreciate the answers, especially Ididmyc600's, but I wanted a verification. Like I said I'm new here, and I don't know who is trustworthy or not.

Also, if I replace the MoBo, its time to replace my CPU and video card and just do a whole new build so I didn't want to do that if there was a cheaper/simpler solution.

Thanks again! Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back