No public or shared folder discovery on successful VPN connection

techseven

Hi everyone, here is my problem:

I have successfully created a VPN server on Windows 10 Pro, forwarded the necessary port and I can connect from another Windows 10 Pro computer ( through internet ).

The problem is that the client computer cannot access or discover the remote network, like public and shared folders, but I can browse the internet.

In advanced sharing settings, I have tried turning everything to "on", for public and private networks, I even tried turning off the firewall on the host computer but nothing works.

I have tried to access the folders using

\\servers.ip.address.here\Share and \\servername\Share

But nothing works, if I right click "Map a network drive" and say "Browse" the host computer is not listed there or anywhere else.

I am probably making a simple mistake (it usually is) but the this article show in a concise manner how I created the VPN connection, the article is for Windows 8 but its virtually identical on Windows 10:
http://www.topnettricks.com/how-to-set-up-a-simple-vpn-in-windows-8/

I might also add that I couldn't access the internet through the VPN until I added these settings to the connection (the server/host has a static local ip of 192.168.0.115), here is a screenshot:

ipv4settings.png

I hope someone can point out my mistake here...

Sharing IS NOT A DNS issue. Using Map Drive, Browse and not seeing the target system says it's Sharing Setup on that target.

Fundamentally however, I would NEVER expect a VPN to do this as they by design exclusively route everything to the remote end of the connection.

So first, disconnect the VPN, and ensure you can browse the internet via Google or Bing.

Delete all the manual IP configuration and let all systems use DHCP.

Now you should be able to at least Map Drive, Network Browse and SEE all systems. Once you're here, we'll work on Sharing.

Back