No red colors on new monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Dummy

I recently bought an AOC 17" monitor and when I installed it there were no red colors and what showed looked greenish. My old monitor's pins were broken and I installed the drivers for the monitor and also for my ATI RADEON X800 Pro graphics card, but nothing works. Need help please. :confused:

You either have a broken VGA connector, a broken monitor cable or a broken monitor. Try replacing the monitor and cable first, then the DVI adapter (if any) and then the video card.

Since you say your old monitor's pins were broken, maybe you should examine your video card to see if the broken pins are still in the holes of the vga port. Kind of a longshot, but what have you got to lose? If the card has a DVI port, use a VGA to DVI adapter and see how the new monitor works with that.

I tried to use a metal paper clip through one of the holes where the VGA Adaptor goes in and it went right through. Nothing blocking it like the other holes. Could that be it? The new pins on the monitor cable not making contact?

Not all the connectors in the VGA plug are used. Look up the VGA pinout and see what that hole is supposed to do. If it is the one for red then we have found the culprit.

Looking at the pins layout the one that had broken on my old monitor it corresponds to pin no. 1 (red) . My question is if it has something to do with the Graphics card can it be fixed, 'cause if I have to buy a new one it'll cost me $500!

Doesn't your x800 have a DVI port too? As I mentioned in my earlier post, you might want to try connecting your new monitor to that port using a VGA to DVI adapter (cost from newegg.com = $8.00 shipped, see link I provided previously).

Thanks Grok451! I found the adaptor that came with the card's purchase. It's all fine now. Thanks a lot folks youve been all a great help! :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back