No signal but PC sounds like its working

whakoworld

Hey all, im a bit stumped.

Ive been building a system with recycled bits from my old pc and a few bits donated - all apart from the graphics card which has allegedly never been used was defo working recently.

The system is:
Asus P4P 800 SE mobo
Pentium 4 @ 3.2ghz
radeon 9800PRO (although it looks nothing like the pics on google!) 256mb
2x 1gb kingston ram
and some random things that shouldnt affect anything.
Its also a Jeantech JNP-350P PSU.

Some old hardware, but like i said, all of it worked together recently apart from the graphics card as i had a different one in my old system.

Now, my problem is that when i put it all together, the PC sounds like its all working - fans going, hd clicking, cd drive working... the no signal message comes up on the monitor.
I have tried multiple monitors, multiple vga cables, my old graphics card, different ram, different hdd... NOTHING is changing. I am stumped!

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as its for my wee brother and i promised it to him soon!
Thanks in advance!

No video at all, even in the bios? The old ASUS motherboard may be bad, since you swapped video cards. Are the video cards AGP or PCI?

Resetting the CMOS can't hurt. It may be that the motherboard thinks the graphics card is a different slot (AGP vs PCI or even onboard if that mobo has it).

Although, I think typically the POST stuff displays even if you switch cards and slots, it just goes away after POST....

Does the motherboard reply with a POST? If not, then this might be pretty serious.

Your scenario described sounds much like a classical shortage, but usually it's the GPU that's causing trouble. There is always a possible risk that the motherboard have shortened of gotten zapped, though. Did you use an electrostatic discharge-wristband or any equivalent tool when you built the PC?

OK guys, ive been following lots of other threads with this kinda problem and tried some of your suggestions, and i seem to have sorted whatever was wrong. It now switches on etc.

However, now sometimes (a lot!) when windows loads up it will immediately say that windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, and the computer will basically freeze. I can still move the mouse but nothing will work when i click on it. There isnt anything obvious that i can see that is wrong in the report. Any thoughts?If i view the technical information it comes up with code:0xc0000005 for the exception code.
Cheers!

Back