No signal on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exonimus

Hey guys, I'm having a problem. My old p4 2ghz prescott from 2002 made quite some noise. That's why I decided to replace the cpu fan(not the heatsink or anything, just the fan). because it was hard to fasten the new fan to the heatsink( it was slightly larger than the old one, so the screws didn't fit), I disconnected the old fan, and put the new one on top. Before I did this, I took out the graphics card to have some room to place my screwdriver. I also unplugged some cables like 1 for the motherboard power(the one that has 4 connections 2 by 2 in a square shape) and one for the floppy drive. I connected the new fan, put my card back in, connected the other stuff, and then the signal on my monitor was gone. I hear the fans spinning, I see some lights, etc. I hear no beeps whatsoever

What I have tried so far:
Test the monitor+monitor cables on another pc-works perfectly
put another graphics card in my agp slot-doesn't help
double checked to see if my card was inserted properly and deep enough
disconnected the floppy drive, the hard disk and the cd/dvd drives-didn't help
double checked the motherboard power cables. I didn't touch the first one, and the second one only fits in 1 way.
clear the cmos-didn't help

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking it either has something to do with my processor(maybe it broke because I pushed too hard on the heatsink??.. who knows) or there is some cable wrong, although I have no idea what it could be.

any help would be appreciated.
~Exonimus

You repaced a fan - does it start when you power on? (cpu fan)

Is it plugged into the CORRECT mobo socket?

the fan starts when I power on, the fan is placed in the correct socket. Actually, it's a bit more complicated. It's a regular fan, not as much as a CPU fan that I inserted. It's bigger and makes less sound. It needs a standard 4 pins connection. So there's nothing in the CPU fan socket right now. Becuase I've also considered that as a possible problem, i've inserted the old connector in the socket, the old fan still worked, but it didn't solve my problem

Can you VERY CAREFULLY touch the side of the heatsink near the cpu ? Any heat at all?

just disconnected the fan and left the computer on for like what, a minute or so? not sure if that was long enough.. but I didn't feel any heat at all. if that was long enough, that probably means my cpu is broken, doesn't it? I mean, no heat coming off a prescott? there must be something wrong there.. :p

The only suspect, if the cpu isn't firing up to start the bios, is that power plug you disconnected (or, less likely, your putting pressure on the cpu/mobo to remove the old fan dislodged the heatsink so the cpu locks out).

Check the pins aren't bent, etc.

Otherwise, I am out of ideas. :(

oh boy, removing that heatsink is going to be a problem. It has this strange mechanism I don't get the hang of, anyway, I'll give it another shot...

I removed the heatsink.. and guess what? I am kind of screwed now(this may also have to do with the heatsink ). look at my socket
img.php

and the front row of pins on my processor are bent.. I just hope I can fix that :/
I'll probably have to buy a new motherboard, or is it possible to buy a loose socket?
well anyway, thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back